Next Lens?

KoppangC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I’m currently debating what my next lens purchase should be. I currently have a Sony A7RIII with a 70-200 G which I love. I recently sold my 24-105 G as I really missed having a faster 2.8. My primary use is travel photography while hiking (next stop Iceland).

I’m going back and forth on either a 16-35 GM or 24-70 GM (i not ii). Going with the 16-25 would obviously give me a gap between 36-69 but with my sensor size this might be ok? Seems very untraditional, but in reading through other forums, having a wide 16-35 and telephoto 70-200 might be a great combination for landscapes. Curious in your opinions and experience.

This question comes up a lot. Like you I love my 70-200mm f/2.8 and it's on my cameras most of the time. It's great for outdoor portraits and sports and it's even more useful with a 1.4x tele. My favorite landscape lens is part of the trinity, a 14-24mm f/2.8, but the 12-24mm f/4s are lighter and more compact and since most landscapes are still, you won't miss the speed. The other lens I like is the 24mm f/1.8. It's fast and great for taking overlapping shots to stitch together in post for panoramas. I like to shoot those on a tripod rotating the camera to vertical then just sweep left to right (or right to left). So my strategy is the trinity, which gets me from 14mm (12) to 200mm (280mm with the tele), and a couple of fast primes for lower light situations. If I travel light, I'll leave the 24-70mm home and take a 50mm f/1.8. The 50m is great for lower light indoor stuff.

I’m currently debating what my next lens purchase should be. I currently have a Sony A7RIII with a 70-200 G which I love. I recently sold my 24-105 G as I really missed having a faster 2.8. My primary use is travel photography while hiking (next stop Iceland).

I’m going back and forth on either a 16-35 GM or 24-70 GM (i not ii). Going with the 16-25 would obviously give me a gap between 36-69 but with my sensor size this might be ok? Seems very untraditional, but in reading through other forums, having a wide 16-35 and telephoto 70-200 might be a great combination for landscapes. Curious in your opinions and experience.
If you're using your present lens at all, seems you ought to know what it won't do that you want to do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back