Lens compatibility

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Being to new to photography, Im a little confused on lens adapters. I believe I have read that other manufacture's lens will work on the Canon Xs with an adapter, however autofocus is lost.

Is this correct and if so, what type of an adapter do I need and what lens are compatible?

thanks,
scott

There are adapters that will allow you to mount certain types of lenses onto cameras that aren't normally compatible. For example, Canon changed their lens mount in the late 80's, so you would need an adapter to mount Canon FD lenses onto a Canon EOS camera, which normally takes Canon EF lenses.

This isn't something that I suggest you become concerned about. The Canon EOS XS is compatible with all of Canon's EF and EF-S lenses (quite a few) as well as many other brands of lenses that are made specifically to fit EOS cameras.

In other words, several other manufacturers make their lenses to fit Canon (or Nikon, Sony etc) cameras. Sigma and Tamron for example, both have a full line of lenses that are fully compatible with that camera.

So really, you shouldn't have to worry about adapters...not unless you already have some old lenses...and even then, they would have to be really good quality lenses to make it worth your while to mess around with adapters.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back