Lens dillema get rid of the 17-35 ƒ2.8 and 50mm for..

Ub3rdoRK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.walesimaging.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So Im debating to get rid of my nikon 17-35 ƒ2.8 and my 50mm ƒ1.8 to get a 24-70 ƒ2.8. I tend to use my 17-35 a lot when i shoot bands and landscapes, but when using it for landscapes i generally use it at 35mm due to distortion at 17mm. I am considering it because i figure the 24-70 will be good for general purpose, portraits, bands and landscapes without having to carry both 50mm and 17-35mm.

I already own a 70-200 vr which i use mostly for portraits and rarely bands depending on the venue.

I dont plan on getting a 2nd body either.

oh and i shoot a D700

The 24-70 is definitely my 'Go-to' lens, and is on my main body (D700) 95% of the time and I wouldn't be without it. It's definitely worth getting; as for the 17-35, I would be hesitant to give that up since I find when I don't have wide I miss it, but the 24-70 is definitely a much more useful lens for everyday work. Have you thought of picking up the new 16-35 f4? It's reasonably priced (For gold-ring glass) and I'm very pleased with mine.

Short answer, I'd say, yeah, this is a sensible plan.

I have access to a 16-35 f4 any time I need it along with a 14-24 from my dad. I just hate the fact of getting rid of the 17-35 due to it being 2.8 and because I got it for $700 FROM my dad. I've read nothing but great things about the 24-70 that's why it makes my descision difficult.

A 24-70mm would be much more useful then the 17-35mm, I'd make that switch in a heartbeat.

But I'd keep the 50, it's only worth around $85 used--not much reason to sell it.

Here is another option, since you already own a 'pretty good' lens in the 17-35 and have access to one of the best wide zooms available, you can save yourself a lot of coin by buying a good condition 35-70 2.8d. It's not the latest toy on the block but it certainly not a wall flower. Solidly built small sized constant aperture piece of glass.

But you are the one who is best positioned to make the buying decision. No one here can decide for you because we are not you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back