Lens for Rebel XTi

E-Van

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am buying a Rebel Xti, but every review I have read seems to say that the kit lens it comes with sucks. I tried playing around with it in the store and wasn't too impressed with it myself either. Does anyone have any reccomendations for a good, decently priced all around lens to purchase instead? I'm looking to spend $200ish

So I am buying a Rebel Xti, but every review I have read seems to say that the kit lens it comes with sucks. I tried playing around with it in the store and wasn't too impressed with it myself either. Does anyone have any reccomendations for a good, decently priced all around lens to purchase instead? I'm looking to spend $200ish

all around and 200 dollars doing go hand in hand. like most things there are trade offs. primes that dont zoom are going to be the best optical quality and faster (largest aperture) lenses for the money, with the trade of that you have to walk to zoom. zooms such as the kit lens cover a decent focal length set (wide to mild telephoto on aps sensors) but are slow, f/3.5-5.6. They make lenses such as tamrons 17-50 2.8 lens, which is like the kit lens but fast a good optical quality, but it comes with a pricetag of 450 dollars.

Sigma makes a nice 70-300 lens, but it isn't the fastest lens at 4-5.6, and most lenses of long telephotos get soft higher up, though the sigma takes very clear pictures even at 300.

The point is, you cant get it all. If you go less expensive you need to make sacrafices.

As far as good quality lenses, the canon 50mm 1.8 EF is a good place to start, and is usually considered the best bargin because it has superior optical quality.

The 50mm looks like a good lens, but I am afraid it won't allow me to take the pictures I want to. I'd like to be able to do some urban night scapes so something that goes a little wider might be necessary? And I'd like to be able to take some action, bmx, photos so I think I'd need more of a zoom? I guess it'd be hard to get a single decently priced lens to do it all.

Most reactions

Back