What's new

Lens help! For low light indoor event photography / landscapes - Canon 550D.

Joannesarahxx

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Liverpool, UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone, first post..

I have a Canon 550d and I've only ever used the kit lens (18-55mm) due to lack of funds. I've now got some cash to spend on a lens or two.

I want a lens for event photography, close range low light concerts and also one for landscape photography. I can't afford a lens for every varying situation so if the landscape lens was a little more all purpose that would be great.

I've been looking for ages and can't seem to make a decision. Help/advice would be very much appreciated! Here's some photos I took recently so you can see what I need it for...GZA (Wu-Tang Clan) // DLA // Nicky Talent - 21/04/2011 | Facebook and landscapes Landscapes | Facebook
 
thanks for the reply! sadly a liiiittle out of my price range. i'm looking for as cheap as possible. under $600
 
The canon 28mm f/1.8 USM seems to fit the bill... might be a little wide for those concert shots? how close are you exactly? nearly the same price but tighter and brighter is the 50mm f/1.4 USM... but I don't know how much I would enjoy that for landscapes..
 
Another idea: don't know how confident you are with doing everything in manual, but you could go on ebay and get some old m42 lenses and adapt them. Definitely could get a 20mm for landscapes and a fast 50 for concerts for under $600, possibly even Zeiss level stuff as well. They are full manual however, maybe not to be attempted on a 550d without upgrading the focusing screen as well? i bet you could still do it under 600 though.

just something a little crazy to consider...
 
thank you, a few people have recommended the 50mm f/1.4 USM, i'll check the other one out now. think i'll wait til i'm a lil better to start modding!

also considering the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, any thoughts?
 
I absolutely love mine, if that's the focal length you need :thumbup:

It is quite tight though... on a crop body it's a headshot when you're 2 meters from the subject.
 
really? wouldn't be good for the event side of things...sounds like an awesome lens though! i might go for the 50mm f/1.4 USM then...seems the best all round option.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom