Canon AV-1 aperture broken, results?

PCharlie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
New member, and relative beginner with photography, I will do an intro soon. Up until a few weeks ago I hadn't touched my camera for a good few years. Work got in the way, COVID happened etc.

Anyway, went on holiday last week for the first time in 5 years, so took my Canon AV-1 with just my 50mm lens (travelling light), went through two rolls of Ilford XP2 super. Got back and took my rolls to get developed yesterday, and in the interim I was having a little clean of my lenses and just generally sorting stuff out.

In cleaning the 50mm, I noticed that the aperture was stuck wide open... d**n!

I was on holiday in sunny Cape Verde, mostly taking landscape photos or shots with the subjects a fair distance away, with a large f stop (or so I thought). I'm trying to figure out if the photos will be completely ruined or if they will still be ok despite the camera thinking the lens was on a low f stop and compensating with the appropriate shutter speed (hopefully I've explained that ok) any thoughts?

Now I need to try and find my precision screwdrivers and start taking the lens apart to see if I can fix the issue, hopefully it's nothing major.

Does the lens off camera stop down when whatever activates it is moved on the back of the lens? Set it to f8 and see what happens.

Does the lens off camera stop down when whatever activates it is moved on the back of the lens? Set it to f8 and see what happens.
not consistently, sometimes it will but with a delay. I think from reading elsewhere it's probably oil leaking onto the blades which is causing them to stick so it probably needs a service.

right, so everything is over exposed, as expected. Luckily, there are a few which are still alright.

I am now attempting to correct some of them as much as I can by taking a photo of them and then editing them on my PC. hopefully attached to this post will be an example of one, the original first, then the edited one. I would be grateful for any feedback or advice.

Original:
IMG_20220309_125015-2.jpg

Edited:
IMG_20220309_125015.jpg

Original:
IMG_20220309_125052.jpg

Edited:
IMG_20220309_125052-1.jpg

still trying, this is one of the worse ones:

original:
IMG_20220309_141834-2.jpg

Edited:
IMG_20220309_141834.jpg

Restored versions are fine. As for the lens--if that's the problem--it might be cheaper and easier simply to get another 50mm lens rather than look for a fix.

Restored versions are fine. As for the lens--if that's the problem--it might be cheaper and easier simply to get another 50mm lens rather than look for a fix.
Cheers, yep, I just reached the same conclusion after speaking to a repair shop on the phone, have already ordered another lens at a reasonable price

Most reactions

New Topics

Back