Lens help please!

julie616

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Photography is a relatively new hobby of mine. I mainly take pictures of my toddler. Currently, I have the Canon 18-55 kit lens and the Canon 50mm 1.8. I am ready to purchase a new lens but would like to stay under the $300 mark if at all possible. After researching what seems to be the never ending possibilities of lenses, I have come to conclude that the Canon 55-250 is the most logical choice BUT there are some other options which may be convenient (possibly more convenient?). I would love to hear your thoughts on the following alternatives:

1. Canon 55-250 f/4.0-5.6 DC ($188 on Amazon)
2. Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 IS ($263 on Amazon)
3. Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 WITH the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF Lens ($249 on Amazon)

If you have any other ideas on what the best next lens would be, please let me know! Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Julie

Welcome to the forum Julie.

What do you want out of a new lens, that you are not getting with the two lenses you have now?
If you are thinking that a new lens will improve your photography...it won't. Especially not those cheap lenses.

If you want a longer lens, that would allow you to zoom into your subjects from farther away, then I'd suggest something in the 75-300mm category.
Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM Autofocus Lens 6472A002 B&H

I would think that the Canon 55-250mm is fairly similar, but it only goes to 250mm, instead of 300mm. And if you are looking for a telephoto lens, you might as well get the longer one. I don't think you will miss the gap between 55mm and 75mm.

If your goal is to take better photos of your toddler, then I'd suggest a flash, rather than a new lens. Check out the Canon 430EX.

I definitely like your idea about getting a flash. I was thinking that perhaps if I get the 75-300mm (it doesn't have IS though, which the 55-250mm does) on Amazon it is only $121 Amazon.com: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo then I still have some money I can put towards a flash! (I am assuming the one on Amazon is the same one you linked me to on B&H?)

I want a better zoom lens for the exact reason you mentioned- to zoom in when I am further away from my subject. I often end up having to crop my pics and when I do, my subject is less crisp. I am hoping a bigger zoom lens will lessen the need to do this!

Thanks for your response!!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
How far do you plan to go with photography? Are you content to simply take snaps of your child(ren) in auto mode, or do you want to learn how to use your camera to it's fullest? If the former, any of those cheap lenses are fine. If the latter, invest in some reading material instead. "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, is a good place to start, as well as The Digital Photography series by Scott Kelby. Once you've gained an understanding of your camera and the fundamentals of photography, save your money and invest in some glass that will benefit your photography.

I definitely like your idea about getting a flash. I was thinking that perhaps if I get the 75-300mm (it doesn't have IS though, which the 55-250mm does) on Amazon it is only $121 Amazon.com: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo then I still have some money I can put towards a flash! (I am assuming the one on Amazon is the same one you linked me to on B&H?)
I forgot that the 55-250mm does have IS. That would certainly help on a lens like this.

The 75-300mm I linked to, is a better version that the one you linked to. My version is the 'USM' version, which is a better (faster) focus motor, which is why it's more expensive.

And I fully agree with subscuck, if it's your goal to become a better photographer, then education & knowledge will be a better investment than any gear you could get.

Thanks everyone for your posts! I have taken a photography course and know some basics about my camera. I typically shoot in manual or Av (never auto). I have another photography course I am taking in the very near future. I have lightroom and have "self taught" through online tutorials. Right now, photography is just a hobby, but I have already had a few "jobs" for my friends for kids' birthday parties, family events, etc.

Thanks everyone for your posts! I have taken a photography course and know some basics about my camera. I typically shoot in manual or Av (never auto). I have another photography course I am taking in the very near future. I have lightroom and have "self taught" through online tutorials. Right now, photography is just a hobby, but I have already had a few "jobs" for my friends for kids' birthday parties, family events, etc.

With this new info, my suggestion still remains the same. Rather than waiting on your next course to start, continue your education on your own. Honestly, none of the lenses you are considering are particularly good. They will be the same, or lesser quality than your kit. They are all very painfully slow lenses as well. The 55-250 would probably be the best of the bunch, and no offense meant to Big Mike, but the Canon 75-300 (either version) is about the worst lens, optically, Canon currently manufactures. The 70-300 IS is much better, but about twice what you're looking to spend. I understand the "need for reach", it's something we've all gone through, but I would still counsel you to save, save, save and get a telephoto zoom that will actually improve your photography.

Yes, I'll admit that the cheap 75-300mm are pretty poor compared to most other lenses. But I think that they are going to be better than a cheap 18-200mm lens.

After reading this, I'll go back to my suggestion for a flash (or education). Specifically, one that can tilt & swivel, which would allow you to bounce the light.
And if you are considering additional (or replacement) lenses...then I'd suggest that you wait until you can afford something better. $300 isn't going to get you anything that you won't want to replace fairly soon.

...then I'd suggest that you wait until you can afford something better. $300 isn't going to get you anything that you won't want to replace fairly soon.

It sounds like the consensus is to continue with the education- which I completely agree with...and save up for a better lens. Then the question becomes, what better lens makes most sense? I still have the issue with lack of zoom, but if I am going to buy a better lens, then should I get a more practical one- like the 28-135 IS usm f/3.5 (under 400- which I could probably get now without concern for going over my budget) ?

Of course, this zoom lens looks like a great lens (but cost is a factor- and do I really want my best lens to be 70-200mm?): Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Telephoto (under $700) or the 70-300 IS mentioned earlier for about $550.

Now I am even more confused then before :) Haha.

Confusion goes with the hobby at the beginning. The more you shoot, the more you'll see which focal lengths you commonly use. It's entirely possible you may find a fast prime is what's most useful for you, like maybe an 85mm 1.8, or a 30mm 1.4. Give it some time and you'll figure out what you shoot most, and that will guide you towards the lens(es) that will be most useful for you.​ Something along the lines of the 70-200 L is exactly the type of lens I'm talking about when I say a lens that will benefit your photography. You really do get what you pay for. A cheap lens will be soft, have less than acceptable color rendition, lack contrast, and render oof backgrounds with harsh bokeh. A good, or great piece of glass will deliver the opposite, which has the benefit of less editing time to make the pic look correct.

The 70-300 IS is a very good consumer grade lens, but still slow, making it most useful outdoors under bright sun light. Optically, it's somewhat better than your kit lens, but no match for the 70-200 L.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back