Lens help please

jackiex_x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[h=1]Been looking at the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens and it says it's 88-400mm equivalent focal length what does that mean? I gave a hell of a lot more money for my lens which stated it is a 100-400mm but yet this one claims practically the same for 1/10th of the price. *confused* thanks [/h]

Dao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
What that mean is a 55mm focal length lens mounted on a Canon cropped sensor body (i.e. your EOS 500D) will have the same field of view of a 88mm focal length lens mounted on a Full frame sensor DSLR body or 35mm format film SLR body.

It is because your camera has a smaller sensor when compared with a 35mm film format. So the EF 100-400mm L lens mounted on your camera will have the same field of view of a 160-640mm lens mounted on a full frame/35mm film body. Remember, we are just talking about the field of view (or angle of view), the actual focal length of a lens does not change since that is the physical property of the lens.

The price difference between 2 lenses usually related to optical performance, build quality, build-in technology such as AF and IS.

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
Unless you also have a film SLR or a full frame Digital (5D, 6D etc)....then it means nothing. Disregard it and move on with your life.

I gave a hell of a lot more money for my lens which stated it is a 100-400mm but yet this one claims practically the same for 1/10th of the price. *confused* thanks
A Hyundai i10 and a Mercedes CL both have 4 wheels and will get you from point A to point B...but there is a huge price difference. :er:

KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Photos OK to edit
The 100-400 mm has higher quality, larger optics, better lens coatings, more lens elements, some low-dispersion glass, a tripod collar, white paint, a red L, and a better AF motor than the 55-250 mm - which accounts for the difference in price.

The 100-400 mounted on a crop sensor Canon camera body is equivelent to 160 mm - 640 mm but just doesn't say so.

The reality is the 55-250 mm is just 55-250 m and the 100-400 mm is just 100-400 mm and the equivelent BS is just marketing hype.
Understanding Camera Lenses

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics