What's new

LENS HELP

jkzo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 21, 2011
Messages
364
Reaction score
67
Location
Hyderabad India
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8Di II LD Aspherical (IF) (for Nikon Digital SLR) is approximately half the price of Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) (for NikonDigital SLR). Please help me in deciding which one to purchase. The difference is XR (Extra Refractive Index Glass) which is not available with the first one. Is this really cost twice. please let me know in finalisiing the purchase


 
halo no more help coming out?
 
I've pointed out that the better lens is also the cheaper lens (unless I've missed something). So you can get the better lens for less money or the lesser lens for more money. If the decision isn't clear at this point, I'm not sure what to tell you.

PS: Amazon had 2 left in stock as of my original post. They may be out of stock by now.
 
my point is the lens with XR is around Rs.37900/- whereas the non XR version is around Rs.22500/- in India. is there such difference in the quality of lens of XR and non XR version. Having so much of difference in cost whether is it worth investing in XR version. I think iam clear in putting forth my point for which i have sought help
 
XR - Extra Refractive Index

Tamron's "XR" designation stands for "Extra Refractive Index" lens optics. Lenses with XR optics for the frontmost elements are somewhat more compact than similar lenses which use optics with less powerful refractive indices. XR optics allow wide angle lenses, wide angle zooms and wide angle to telephoto zooms to have a somewhat smaller overall diameter. XR optics can potentially allow long telephoto lenses to be shorter in overall length, thus reducing weight.
Tamron Lens Dictionary - Lens Database

It looks like the only difference between the two might be that the XR version is more compact. The XR version is 430g while the non-XR version is 569g.
From reviews, it doesn't look like the two have any difference optic wise, so if your only option is to buy within india, go for the non-XR. If you can buy online however, as Netskimmer said the XR version is lighter and more cheaper so I'd go with that one.
 
I've pointed out that the better lens is also the cheaper lens (unless I've missed something). So you can get the better lens for less money or the lesser lens for more money. If the decision isn't clear at this point, I'm not sure what to tell you.

PS: Amazon had 2 left in stock as of my original post. They may be out of stock by now.

if we go by Netskimmer's guidence the amazon is selling the XR version for $389 which is for used ones only. whereas, the non XR version for $459. May be Netskimmer has not taken note of this aspect and recommended for purchase of XR version when it is less than the non XR version. However, the clarification sought by me is still to be addressed.
 
I've pointed out that the better lens is also the cheaper lens (unless I've missed something). So you can get the better lens for less money or the lesser lens for more money. If the decision isn't clear at this point, I'm not sure what to tell you.

PS: Amazon had 2 left in stock as of my original post. They may be out of stock by now.

if we go by Netskimmer's guidence the amazon is selling the XR version for $389 which is for used ones only. whereas, the non XR version for $459. May be Netskimmer has not taken note of this aspect and recommended for purchase of XR version when it is less than the non XR version. However, the clarification sought by me is still to be addressed.

As of my original post Amazon was selling new XRs and new non-XRs and the new XRs were cheaper. Of coarse used lenses are usually cheaper compared to new ones. If we just compare the used lenses, a used XR is going for $380 and a used non-XR is going for $389 so even used the XR version in still cheaper.

So a new XR is cheaper that a new non-XR and a used XR is cheaper than a used non-XR. I would also point out that Amazon changes it's prices from time to time so I can't promise that this will always be the case.
 
my point is the lens with XR is around Rs.37900/- whereas the non XR version is around Rs.22500/- in India. is there such difference in the quality of lens of XR and non XR version. Having so much of difference in cost whether is it worth investing in XR version. I think iam clear in putting forth my point for which i have sought help


thank you Netskimmer for immediate response. in the context of above situation where XR version is costlier than non XR version whether i can purchase non XR since the difference between two lenses is huge vis-a-vis is there really advantage with regard to quality of XR version. sorry if iam still not understood you
 
Tamron does claim improved image quality as well as a smaller and lighter lens. I have not used the non-xr version so I can't tell you how much of a difference it would make. Are you planning to get the lens from a physical store in India? The best solution by far would be to visit the store with your camera and try them both, most camera stores would not object to this.
 
thank you Netskimmer. I have contacted the Tamron head office Japan with regard to clarification of the XR and non XR of 17-55 f2.8 whether both the versions do exist. for which they have clarified "They are the same thing. Actually “Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF)” is correct." Hence, it is clear that only Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) is available and i am going to place order for it. Anyhow thak you very much once again.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom