Lens help

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I will be getting a Nikon D50 (over the XT) and sooner than I expected. I am selling my dirtbike for about $1,500 Canadian. This is more than anough for the D50 so I am also going to buy a few lenses. First Here it what I know I will be buying:

D50 Body: $589.95
Nikon
AF 50mm f/1.8 D: $169.00
Total: $758.95
Left: $741

So I have about $700 to spend on lenses or a better body. So should I say screw the D50 and get a D70 or get lenses?

I suggest sinking that money into lenses (don't forget about memory cards, batteries, tripod, polarizer filter etc.).

The 50mm is a nice fast lens, but it's not too wide on that camera. I suggest somthing that starts in the 18mm range. I've heard good things about the Nikkon 18-70, or somthing like that. The 18-200 VR, is also supposed to be pretty good...but personally, I like to avoid lenses with such a wide range.

Ok so the 18-70? I think I seen that some where. I also own a cheap tripod and don't feel like buying an expensive one yet (though I hear they are worth it) Also if im not mistaken the D50 takes SD card and I have a fine load of them from mp3 players, my old camera etc. Also What filters are "must haves"? And what other components are good to have?

A circular polarizer is, IMO, the only 'must have' filter when using digital.

You might want to thing about a flash. The SB600 for example.

What size polorizing filter do I need to fit my lenses? And are the bottom mounter battery grips any good?

It depends on the size of the threads on the lens...they are not always the same. If your lenses are different, don't buy two filters...buy a filter to fit the larger lens and then get a 'step-up-ring' for the smaller one.

haha I've actually changed my mind to the XT after relizing theres no local nikon dealers to buy lenses but there is a very good canon dealer here.

well since you're gonig canon, there is still a 50mm 1.8 (52mm filter) and I'd suggest the 28-135mm IS 4.5-5.6 USM (72mm filter), and maybe another prime.

EDIT: canon used CF cards, not Sd so you now have to buy one of those.

I know about the card thing and im going to buy the rebel with a kit lens, a 50mm f/1.8 and bag that comes with a 1 gb cf card.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back