ruifo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,
I'm looking for a full macro lens for Nikon, for stills, not video.

Any opinions about the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM 1:1 Macro lens, for Nikon cameras? Anyone using it?
This is the newer version, with no external moving parts, and image stable (OS/VR/IS/VC).

$x1.jpg
My own shot/image

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM 1:1 Macro
Sigma Glossary:

EX Lens:
The exterior of this lens is EX-finished to denote the superior build and optical quality, and to enhance its appearance.

DG Lens:
These are large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing distances. With an abundance of peripheral illumination, they are ideal lenses for Digital SLR Cameras whilst retaining suitability for traditional 35mm SLRs.

OS (Optical Stabilizer):
This function utilizes a built-in mechanism that compensates for camera shake. It dramatically expands photographic possibilities by alleviating camera movement when shooting by hand held camera.

HSM (Hyper-Sonic Motor):
This lens uses a motor driven by ultrasonic waves to provide a quiet, highspeed AF.

1:1 Macro:
Real 1:1 (1x) macro lens​

NameSigma 105mm ƒ/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro
Image Circle35mm
TypeTelephoto Prime Macro
Focal Length105mm
APS Equivalent1.5x: 157.5mm; 1.6x: 168mm
Max Apertureƒ/2.8
Min Apertureƒ/22
Diaphragm Blades9 (rounded)
Lens Construction16 elements in 11 groups
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle)
23.3 degrees
Focus DetailsHSM with full-time manual overide, focus limiter
Front Element RotationNo
Zoom Systemn/a
Closest Focus31.2cm / 12.3 in.
Magnification Ratio1.0x / 1:1
Filter Size62mm
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter)
126.4mm x 78.3mm / 5.0 in. x 3.1 in.
Weight725g / 25.6 oz
NotesImage Stabilized. Planned AF Mounts: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma, Sony. Included Accessores: Case, Bayonet type Hood (LH680-03), Hood Adapter (HA680-01).
Price (2014)~US$660

DxO review with D5200 (my current body):
Tests and reviews for the lens Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon mounted on Nikon D5200 - DxOMark

DxO review with D800 (body in my wishlist):
Tests and reviews for the lens Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon mounted on Nikon D800 - DxOMark

Macro Lens basics & Review of Sigma 105mm Macro:

Thanks for any comments and opinios on this lens.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are paying a LOT of extra money, roughly TWICE as much as the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X, for the OS system...

Tests and reviews for the lens Tokina AT-X M100 AF PRO D AF 100mm f/2.8 Nikon mounted on Nikon D3X - DxOMark

The Tokina is basically the same to a slight bit better optically than the Sigma on 24MP FX Nikon...I compared it for my camera, not an APS-C camera. The experts all seem to say that optical stablizing works LESS-well as a lens is focused closer and closer, and it's not really the be-all, end-all for macro shooting. I do not own a stabilized macro lens, so that's based on what people I respect say about stabilization and macro lenses.

Thanks Derrel. GReat info indeed.
DxO says that the Sigma is sharper on a D5200 body, and the Sigma is "AF-S/G" like (AF motor built-in), while this Tokina looks like to be just "AF/D" like (no lens' motor built-in). Once the D5200 does not have a body built-in AF system, the Sigma still attracts me more. Also the stabilization offered by Sigma is a plus, or hand held situations.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...kon-on-Nikon-D5200___361_850_1024_850_870_850

You are paying a LOT of extra money, roughly TWICE as much as the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X, for the OS system...

Tests and reviews for the lens Tokina AT-X M100 AF PRO D AF 100mm f/2.8 Nikon mounted on Nikon D3X - DxOMark

The Tokina is basically the same to a slight bit better optically than the Sigma on 24MP FX Nikon...I compared it for my camera, not an APS-C camera. The experts all seem to say that optical stablizing works LESS-well as a lens is focused closer and closer, and it's not really the be-all, end-all for macro shooting. I do not own a stabilized macro lens, so that's based on what people I respect say about stabilization and macro lenses.

Is Tokina a better third party lens maker?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

In the UK the sigma is only marginally more eexpensive than the tokina and the Tamron 90mm vc is a little more than the sigma. They all get great reviews with an ants hair of difference between them. Most available macro lenses in the 90-105mm range, older models included get great reviews. Pick one that works fully with your camera, buy and enjoy. Job done

Absolutelly, jaomul.
Just trying to see if I can find someone using this leans by here, and get some feedback.
Many many thanks!!

So I bought this lens, new, for around U$590. Just arrived today.

No serious test yet, but it looks pretty good.

Here the lens with its two hoods (one for full-frame cameras, another one to add making it for crop cameras):

$s1.jpg

Here two hand held test shots (indoors and natural light):

$m1.jpg

$m2.jpg

And just testing the DoF in diffferent f/stops (all hand held, and in a hurry - indoors and natural light):

f/5.6
$f5.6.jpg

f/8
$f8.jpg

f/13
$f13.jpg

f/45
$f45.jpg

Like all dedicated macro lenses, the f/# varies with the focus range and the magnification ratio. Focused at infinity, it goes from f/2.8 through f/22. Focused on its closest proximity (1:1 macro), it goes from f/5.6 through f/45.

It's already clear and noticible the sharpness at high f/stops.

Looking really good by now.

Last edited:
Its a very nice lens, I was playing about with it for a while trying to decide between it and the Tamron 90mm, I couldnt tell any difference and was sure I would was away with the sigma. The turning point was actually just down to the fact people said the Tamron performs better for portraits. So in the end I bought the Tamron and have been very happy with it. Glad you like the Sigma, I had a lot of fun when I tested it.

I ordered this lens, but they just kept postponing my order more and more so i just canceled it after waiting more than a month.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back