Lens options for T4i

Crabapplemcn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking at the canon T4i and can get a pretty good deal on a kit that includes the lenses below:
18-55mm IS II Lens, 55-250mm IS II Lens

But it seems the 18-135 mm IS II might be a better option as it wouldnt provide as much range but wouldnt involve changing lenses often.

Then also theres the 18-135 mm is stm which it seems is better for video but obviously more expensive.

Maybe i could sell one or both of the kit lenses to buy a different one

Any guidance you can give me would be great. this is my first dslr so i am just beginning but want photo and video use. thanks

I bought my T4i few weeks ago and went with 18-135, first of all it is a newer lens with new STM technology (super quiet) which is important if you are planning to capture videos since T4i is using new continues auto focusing technology for taking videos plus it is a good quality kit lens comparing to other two, I personally don't use my DSLR to capturing videos. before I bought mine checked some youtube videos and was impressed by picture quality of the lens. I got the 18-135 and will save some money for a good zoom lens later on.

I am looking at the canon T4i and can get a pretty good deal on a kit that includes the lenses below:
18-55mm IS II Lens, 55-250mm IS II Lens

But it seems the 18-135 mm IS II might be a better option as it wouldnt provide as much range but wouldnt involve changing lenses often.

Then also theres the 18-135 mm is stm which it seems is better for video but obviously more expensive.

Maybe i could sell one or both of the kit lenses to buy a different one

Any guidance you can give me would be great. this is my first dslr so i am just beginning but want photo and video use. thanks

How much do you care about quality and what's your budget? Usually the super zooms are softer at one side or another and I'm betting the 18-135 is a variable aperture lens with pretty narrow max apertures. It may give you more zoom, but quality will be an issue. If you find that your current lens isn't lacking in quality, then go for it, but if that's not the case look at some primes. You'll have to switch lenses even more often, but you'll have a much wider max aperture that can allow you to get those photos with the real shallow DOF. They'll also be much sharper than the other lenses you're looking at. That's why I have 5 lenses in my bag and not just one or two.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back