TeresaOnTheHudson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought a Nikon D3500 two-lens Kit with an AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens and an AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED telephoto lens three years ago and it has served me well. I bought a wide-angle lens AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II recently in preparation for a trip with landscape and wildlife photography. I'm also considering adding a second camera body since wind and sand are expected at the destination, and constantly swapping between the telephoto and the wide-angle lenses is not a good idea. The candidates are a second D3500 or a D7500, probably through a reputable secondhand equipment seller. D7500 of course is superior, but costs twice of a D3500 and is twice a heavy. D3500 has been discontinued by Nikon on the other hand. What would be the better option for me? Are there other cameras I should consider? Thanks!

Provided you've bonded with the D3500, a second one might make sense. It's also likely a bargain now. Shoot both till they break. Upgrade when they do.
Thank you! I was thinking along the same line, but wanted to make a more informed decision.

If you are happy with the D3500, then try to find another one used. Personally, I would try to find a used D5500 or a D7200, both of which have better features. I have the D7200 which I consider the best APC DSLR made although it is pretty heavy compared to the D5500 and the D3500.

If you are happy with the D3500, then try to find another one used. Personally, I would try to find a used D5500 or a D7200, both of which have better features. I have the D7200 which I consider the best APC DSLR made although it is pretty heavy compared to the D5500 and the D3500.
Thank you! I'll do some research on these two models. Perhaps I will use the D3500 as my hiking camera and the better one under less physically strenuous conditions.

My own recommendation would be to get a D7200 as your primary and relegate the 3500 to your second camera.

The D7200 has a 51-point AF system compared to the D3500's 11-point. and that makes a difference. Years ago I had a D5000, with an 11-point focus system, and about half of my airshow pictures were throw-aways for missed focus. My first show with the D7200 had zero missed-focus shots! The D7200 also has the built-in focus motor so it can auto-focus with older lenses that are AF or AF-D as opposed to AF-S (with the motor in the lens.)

I'd stick with the 3500 for now. Get out there shooting and having to remember which camera your using could be a pain inthe butt! generally speaking I'd say your 18-200 is gonna be to short for most wild life shooting. But I think it would be a great walking around lense. I keep an 18-200 Tamron on my D7000 most of the time. if the need arise's I have a 55-300 and a 150-500 to swap it out with. truth be known, the 150-500 I don't use near as much as I thugh I would. I can't hand hold and get decent photo's with it, to heavy! Something I recently did is uo grae my point and shoot camera. Carry it in a belt pouch. It goes everywhere with me and give's me rally nice photos. have blown a few up to 8x16" and they come out pretty nice. Gonna give 12x24 a shot next. P&S is a Panosonic Lumix zs 100. Has a 25-250 lense on it. Doing everything I ask of it now that I finally got it figured out some. Big advantage to P&S as a second camera Is you don't have to heavy full size camera's to carry around. Think I used the Paanosonic to get this photo. Photo is 8x16 inche's.

8qvfuA7l.jpg

The D7200 weighs almost twice as much as the D3500 but it's four times the camera. MPB Camera is a very good second hand camera retailer. I've used them for lots of goodies. Abe's is a close second.

I bought a Nikon D3500 two-lens Kit with an AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens and an AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED telephoto lens three years ago and it has served me well. I bought a wide-angle lens AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II recently in preparation for a trip with landscape and wildlife photography. I'm also considering adding a second camera body since wind and sand are expected at the destination, and constantly swapping between the telephoto and the wide-angle lenses is not a good idea. The candidates are a second D3500 or a D7500, probably through a reputable secondhand equipment seller. D7500 of course is superior, but costs twice of a D3500 and is twice a heavy. D3500 has been discontinued by Nikon on the other hand. What would be the better option for me? Are there other cameras I should consider? Thanks!
Your best option is KEH for purchase. Consider D3100 or any other of the smaller Nikon systems. Good luck!

D100, in Gambia street vendor, street orphan. D 300 Mexico, Both used from KEH
Homeless Lady Mexico.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0012.JPGcornlady.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPGcornlady.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Africa 014.jpg
    Africa 014.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Your best option is KEH for purchase. Consider D3100 or any other of the smaller Nikon systems. Good luck!

D100, in Gambia street vendor, street orphan. D 300 Mexico, Both used from KEH View attachment 268222
Thank you! And thank you for sharing these beautiful photos. I have purchased from mbp with good experience but am not familiar with KEH. Will check it out.

The D7500 had a far superior viewfinder, auto focus, and a much larger buffer for continuous shooting. It would be a huge step up for you.

I agree, changing lenses in those conditions could be bad, I suggest learn your camera and how to use light. I'll get an argument but in my HO the exposure compensation control is the most important control on your camera, other obvious controls are also important but control that light! You might want to visit your local camera store and actually handle all the equipment suggestions which are pretty good, from the various posters here.
Choose JPEG or RAW you'll get better results with a system you know. I never shoot RAW, (arguments?) my moto is if it isn't correct in the camera--it isn't correct. I'll crop is all, if needed.

I agree, changing lenses in those conditions could be bad, I suggest learn your camera and how to use light. I'll get an argument but in my HO the exposure compensation control is the most important control on your camera, other obvious controls are also important but control that light! You might want to visit your local camera store and actually handle all the equipment suggestions which are pretty good, from the various posters here.
Choose JPEG or RAW you'll get better results with a system you know. I never shoot RAW, (arguments?) my moto is if it isn't correct in the camera--it isn't correct. I'll crop is all, if needed.
The need for swapping lenses is not for the camera setting but for the functions of the lenses in this case. I'm going on a safari, and will need a wide angle for the landscape and a telephoto for the wildlife.

The D7500 had a far superior viewfinder, auto focus, and a much larger buffer for continuous shooting. It would be a huge step up for you.
Thanks! That's the model I'm looking at right now actually, after hearing the expert opinions here. My consideration right now is the weight, which doubles my D3500.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back