• Total voters

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I see people write it both ways and just wondered if it was a location based thing like color/colour.

Lense is uncorrect
:popcorn:

Nope far as I know its not like colour and color - but rather confusion of the plural

Lens becomes lenses - and e is added to make it plural since adding another s would not change the word
However people then incorrectly backspell the word into lense thining that the e is part of the original word

I had heard that there was a surplus of the letter "u" in the U.K. and that is why they (and the commonwealth) try to use it up when they spell words like colour.

"The variant spelling lense is sometimes seen. While it is listed as an alternative spelling in some dictionaries, most mainstream dictionaries do not list it as acceptable."

The proper way to spell it is lens. "lense" is an internet-era aberration, which I never,not even once, saw in printed form in over 35 years of photo magazine reading. The word "lense" is a byproduct of the internet era and non-native English speakers and/or folks who did not learn to spell LENS properly.

There, their, they're and it's and its, as well as to,too,and two: all of these simple words are commonly spelled or used incorrectly. No dictionary worth its salt would EVER call the word "lense" an approved variant of lens; that would be as Jimmy Fallon says, "ridonculous!"

Merriam-Webster's is not Oxford thus it does not count as a proper dictionary!

"Colour" Canadian spelling is closer to the French "couleur". Québeckers over the centuries have also modified English words, pronounced them differently and added them into French Canadian vocabulary. They have sometimes come back into Canadian English with a different spelling.

Lense is simply spelled incorrectly and some linguists will say that if a word is constantly misspelled, it eventually becomes correct based on usage. Many would disagree.

The one word I see misspelled a lot on this and other forums is DEFINITELY. No "a" s in the word, whatsoever.

By the way, I have a degree in languages, which explains my interest.

skieur

By the way, I have a degree in languages, which explains my interest.

skieur

Oh, man.... I'm willing to bet there are some phrases out there that are like nails on a chalkboard to you. :lol:

Yes, I DO laugh at the "variant" listing of lense in an on-line dictionary.
Actual, real dictionaries list only one acepted spelling of the word, and that is lens. It's a FOUR-letter word for crying out loud...and it is lens. The word lens is spelled the same in American, Canadian, United Kingdom, and Australian dialects all over the world--no check/cheque, color/colour, center/centre variants. There is one,single proper spelling and it is "lens". Four letters. The word has never had a letter dropped, as was done in American spellings of words such as colour being shortened to color.

As skieur commented, many words are spelled incorrectly. A good example is ridiculous. There is no "e" in the word, and yet in on-line message fora, the word ridiculous is almost universally spelled rediculous. That does not make it the correct spelling. Same with lens...there's only one, single correct way to spell it. Again, if we went by online forum hacks, or sixth graders, we'd spell things incorrectly all the time and promote the mistakes to official dictionaries. That's a bad idea.

U-no wht I mean,rt? It's also "aperture". There is no "A" in the middle of the word aperture, and yet, on-line perhaps 75% of people spell it aperature, or appature, or aprature.

It's also amateur photography. Not amature, amerture, or ammature. The inclusion of "lense" as an accepted variant of lens is quite laughable.

How about this: I think it's rediculous how ammature photografers want to buy a new lense every time they get a few dollers saved up. Commonly misspelled word count in that sentence: five words,all wrong...

most of those misspelt words are done because people spelly them phonetically and yet they have some slight differences because of odd spelling (amateur) or because of how people speak (amerteur for example)

but no one say lenseeeeee its lens lens lens!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back