Lens suggestion for t2i or t3i

whoiscece

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, looking for some specific lens suggestions....
I am looking to get either a T2i or T3i. (18 mp.)
I know I can get a kit that comes with a lens, but I know those aren't usually the greatest.
Any suggestions on a good quality lens that will make the most of the camera if I buy the body and lens separately???
I will mostly be shooting portraits.

Specific model #s would be great. I have a baby at home and not a lot of time to research.
Thanks!

What do you plan on shooting mostly?

If we have an idea of what you will be doing mostly then we will be able to suggest a lens. On the other hand, depending on your experience in photography, the kit lens may be all that you need. I've been using mine for over a year since I first got my camera and still feel that it is sufficient based on my abilities. I'm just now getting to the point where I would be able to take advantage of the better qualities of a higher end lens.

I think I said it in my OP- Mostly portraits.

I've been at advanced amateur level for about 10 years, but lately so my lingo has disappeared into the recesses of my mind :)

Back in the film days I had a Mamiya Medium Format 645e (totally manual) so I could make very high quality enlargements. So I've got quite a bit of experience under my belt.

What's your budget?

Do you want a zoom to do everything? Are you open to a couple primes instead? Or a zoom and a prime?

Some portrait lenses to consider:

These are all Canon "L"
70-200 f2.8L
85 f1.2L
24-105 f4L
24-70 f2.8L

These are not inexpensive but you asked. I, too, would recommended giving the kit lens a fair shake.

Some portrait lenses to consider:

These are all Canon "L"
70-200 f2.8L
85 f1.2L
24-105 f4L
24-70 f2.8L

These are not inexpensive but you asked. I, too, would recommended giving the kit lens a fair shake.

Well, if ya'll think the lenses might not be total crap, at least it would give me something to work with until I find something I dearly love.
I don't have tons of money to throw around so maybe that would be the best bang for my buck.

Thanks everyone!

If you don't have a big budget I would highly recommend picking up a nifty fifty (50mm/1.8). Best bang for the buck for sure. Just be sure not to get too carried away with the super cool bokeh, I usually keep mine at about 2.8 because opening it too wide makes it really soft.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back