Lens Test

fmw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.foodieforums.com
Yesterday I spent a few moments testing the difference between the image quality of zoom vs. prime lenses. I used my usual subject - my garden shed. I thought I should try to crop my way to a usable image from the tests and this is what I came up with.

shed15.jpg

I like this, composition wise. A neat little lineup of the barrels under the window, and all that texture from the peeling wood. Nice!

Is this the zoom or the prime? You say that you cropped this shot, and it's coming across a mite soft. I would love to see a sharp rendition of that lovely peeling paint.

It's also coming across somewhat flat - but I'm viewing this on my laptop monitor, which isn't much, so that could be me.

Technically, you can only specifically test the zoom against the prime at the prime's focal length. Zooms are as weird as they are wonderful and convenient. Zooms will change their characteristics as you zoom. If a zoom at say ... 50mm is sharpest at f/5.6 ... at 100mm it's sharpest aperture may be f/8 ... a zoom may be sharp as hell at 150mm ... but soft as hell at 85mm. The better zooms will have less change in their characteristics than a mediocre zoom.

Technically, you can only specifically test the zoom against the prime at the prime's focal length. Zooms are as weird as they are wonderful and convenient. Zooms will change their characteristics as you zoom. If a zoom at say ... 50mm is sharpest at f/5.6 ... at 100mm it's sharpest aperture may be f/8 ... a zoom may be sharp as hell at 150mm ... but soft as hell at 85mm. The better zooms will have less change in their characteristics than a mediocre zoom.

Of course, Gary. You can see the lens test images here along with labels for the lens used in each. Naturally I matched the zooms to the primes as closely as I could. The images are all SOOC.

I like this, composition wise. A neat little lineup of the barrels under the window, and all that texture from the peeling wood. Nice!

Is this the zoom or the prime? You say that you cropped this shot, and it's coming across a mite soft. I would love to see a sharp rendition of that lovely peeling paint.

It's also coming across somewhat flat - but I'm viewing this on my laptop monitor, which isn't much, so that could be me.

It is a fairly extreme crop. Tell you what. I'll shoot it again with the same lens up close so you can compare. The image was made with a Zeiss 32mm f1.8 lens. It is plenty sharp and constrasty.

Here you go, Terri. Same lens, modest crop, enhanced peeling paint, touch of added contrast.

shed16.jpg

I think it's better! What do you think?

Great shed, btw.

I think it is better. My farm has a long history. It was established in 1856 when the barn was built. This shed was a single car garage built in the 1920's. I can imagine there was a model T housed there at one time. I have a large pole barn built in the 1960's. I've taken down the rest of the old buildings. The original farm house burned down in 1977 and was replaced by the more modern house in which we now live. The shed has a lot of texture and makes a good subject for testing lenses. It is a quiet place to live with virtually unlimited freedom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back