Postman158

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a couple lense hoods for the following lenses:

Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF 50mm
Canon EF 75-300mm

I found some one eBay and Amazon, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with those. Are there even canon brand lens hoods for my lenses? Should I buy a lens hood that screws into where my filters go, or should I get one that bayonets around the lens? Rubber or plastic?

I just fired a ton of questions on my mind.. take your pick and answer what you can haha.

Thanks

Oh, and to add on, I'm looking for the flower style hood. :)
While you might think that looks cool, Canon designs hoods for every lens they sell, and not all of them are the petal type. Buy a hood based on how effective it is, not how cool it looks.

I suggest you get the hood that was made for your particular lenses. If you don't know what that is, go to B&H, look up the lens, and under 'Accessories' you will see the Canon hood made for that lens.

If you don't want to order from B&H, that's a good way to at least find out the part number of the hood.

The generic screw in hoods are just made to fit any lens. It may cause vignetting, or it may not provide enough shade to do it's job - it all depends on what lens you slap it on.

Oh, and to add on, I'm looking for the flower style hood. :)
While you might think that looks cool, Canon designs hoods for every lens they sell, and not all of them are the petal type. Buy a hood based on how effective it is, not how cool it looks.

I suggest you get the hood that was made for your particular lenses. If you don't know what that is, go to B&H, look up the lens, and under 'Accessories' you will see the Canon hood made for that lens.

If you don't want to order from B&H, that's a good way to at least find out the part number of the hood.

The generic screw in hoods are just made to fit any lens. It may cause vignetting, or it may not provide enough shade to do it's job - it all depends on what lens you slap it on.

Thank you. I just did some further research and found out (because of focusing) i'll need the EW-60C hood for my 18-55. I didn't even think about the tulip spinning as I focused.

Thanks again, for the prompt reply!

Here are the hoods made for each lens:

Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EW-60C Lens Hood 2639A001 B&H Photo Video

Canon EF 50mm
You didn't specify which you have...
The f/1.2L comes with a hood, but here it is: Canon ES-78 Lens Hood 1693B001 B&H Photo Video
f/1.4: Canon ES-71 II Lens Hood 2660A001 B&H Photo Video
f/1.8: Canon ES-62 Lens Hood with HD Adapter 62Lens Hood 2645A001 B&H
Three lenses of the same focal length, three different hoods...

Canon EF 75-300mm
Canon ET-60 Lens Hood 2637A001 B&H Photo Video

Would my Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 need to be a flower hood? Do they even make that? I'm wondering because (I may be wrong, correct me if I am) I thought it was considered a wide angle lense.

50mm is usually considered to be 'normal' (not wide or telephoto). If you are using it on a crop sensor, it will be slightly to the telephoto end.

The diagonal of the sensor (the corner-to-corner distance of the actual sensor) is what would be considered a 'normal' focal length. on a full-frame camera that comes out to roughly 48mm if I remember correctly.

If you know the height & width of the sensor, it's a simple formula to find the diagonal. a^2 + b^2 = c^2. (a & b are the height & width, c is the diagonal.)

The reason some hoods are petal shaped is to maximize the shade on the lens without having the hood in the light path to the sensor.

OK - the lens is round, the sensor is square (rectangular). The petals allow the hood to extend out farther without being visible in the corners of the picture.

Thanks again. So, do people who use the flower lens hood just have to accept that when they focus, the hood will turn as well? Won't that affect pictures, and become counterproductive if the long parts of the flower hood are horizontal? Sorry for all the (what may seem) simple questions. I gotta start somewhere! :)

Flower petal type hoods generally aren't used on lenses who's front element rotates when focusing, or they attach to a part of the lens that does not rotate.

The Canon hoods (except for the 50mm 1.8 hood, I think) do not screw into the filter threads - they mount bayonet style to the outside of the lens. This way, if the front element rotates, the hood does not. It also doesn't interfere with using filters (which is what those threads are really for ;) ). You can also mount them in the reversed position for easy storage.

To answer your question - yes, if you use a petal type hood and it's rotating as you focus, it will not be doing it's job. It may be blocking part of the lens, or it may be letting light hit it.

Sounds good. I have a lot better understanding now..Jeep? (What do I call you..?? haha) It seems on my EF-S 18-55mm and on my EF 75-300mm, the bayonet clip (focusing ring) for even the petal or round hood will rotate. Maybe its because I don't have high-end lenses yet.. Oh well. Anyhow, I really appreciate your help. I owe you one.. if thats even possible haha.

Thanks again.

Yes. :lol:
(What do I call you..?? haha)
Josh is fine.
It seems on my EF-S 18-55mm and on my EF 75-300mm, the bayonet clip (focusing ring) for even the petal or round hood will rotate. Maybe its because I don't have high-end lenses yet.. Oh well. Anyhow, I really appreciate your help. I owe you one.. if thats even possible haha.

Thanks again.
Yeah, that's one of the things higher end lenses will get you... As far as front elements and focusing goes - you have three types. On some lenses, the front element extends and rotates as it focuses (usually the cheaper ones). On some lenses it extends, but does not rotate (mid-range, but still good lenses). On the top, you have the lenses that do not rotate or extend while focusing (L and 'L-like' lenses).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back