Lense or flash? Bare with me on this one..

Ok yall, i will be getting a 430EX II for my 400D and i was wondering about what speedlite acessories you would recommend?

Whatabout a battery charger kit? I hear the combo of good rechargeable batteries AND chargers are important to longevity. This dude told me that the "wrong" chargers can mess a lot of the power in the batteries up.

Hows that:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...1_CBK4_300_AA_Battery_and.html#specifications

School me yall. Thanks.

Last edited:
is there something like strobist for on camera photography? It is late so maybe i am not thinkingthis all the way through but i cant see what i could take from this for on -cam photography since the flash is not on the camera.

Give strobist a read - there are still key things you can pickup on the site for oncamera flash usage, especaily things like turning the flash head to different angle for bounceflash.

As for batteries and recharges the dude was right - often the cheap rechargers (which also tend to recharge batteries really quickly) sold in the shops will damage the lifespan of batteries regularly recharged in them. They work fine for things like clocks and such where they are recharged far less, but flash batteries can easily be drained in a single day (or even less) and thus be recharged far more often.

I would also say go for the Enloop batteries - they are a newer make which keep their charge between uses (they don't drain down) which is great as it means your batteries will remain charged even if you don't use them for a few days. Them along with a good highend recharger (its going to cost you but belive me it will quickly earn its keep in saving you buying new batteries)

I see your point, but for the price of the ST-E2, you can get a 430EX to add to the system.

... and have the additional option of using the on camera flash as front fill. Also if you decide to go wireless eTTL one day (new PWs or Radio Poppers), the STE-2 is less useful whereas that 2nd flash suddenly is a 2nd off camera light source.

There are tons of options. :)

Most reactions

Back