Lense question...and NO it's not "Which one should I buy?"

behanana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope I've put this question in the correct place, however I think it will get the most views here. Basic question is, why are there no medium telephoto lenses made for the crop body cameras that are f2.8? I shoot a Nikon D80 and am really dissapointed as to what is out there, the Tokina 50-135mm f2.8 is no longer produced, Nikon doesn't produce anything in that focal range (plus if they did it would cost $1500+), this boggles my mind because not everyone has an extra $2000 laying around to pick up a D600 or D700 body to get into the full frame glass (again not to mention the price increase in the full frame glass). Maybe I'm just ranting but given for the number of crop body camera's out there you would think that the lenses to go with them would kinda be a no brainer. Not everyone just owns a DSLR to take semi-less crappy snap shots of everything :D

Why can't you use an fx lens? They're made for both.
This makes no sense. Nikon has some of the best mid range telephoto lenses on the market.
If they're too expensive then Sigma, Tokina and Tamron make some pretty damn awesome ones.

Check sigma? Or tamron? I think they have some!!!

........Nikon doesn't produce anything in that focal range(plus if they did it would cost $1500+),.......

Right there's your answer.

Top shelf glass FTW, FX NIKKOR lenses will work great on your DX. I used both 24-70 and 70-200 on my D7000 before going FF

MLeeK, I know that I could use the FX lenses, but when put onto a DX camera isn't the conversion ratio about 1.5:1, so at 50mm on an FX lense would be about 75mm on a DX body? Now if I'm wrong there then I'm wrong, but that's what I thought it was.
Darrel, I did look at the Sigma, read some reviews, wasn't terribly impressed with them...might come down to what's available.

MLeeK, I know that I could use the FX lenses, but when put onto a DX camera isn't the conversion ratio about 1.5:1, so at 50mm on an FX lense would be about 75mm on a DX body? Now if I'm wrong there then I'm wrong, but that's what I thought it was.
Darrel, I did look at the Sigma, read some reviews, wasn't terribly impressed with them...might come down to what's available.

A 50mm FX lens on a DX body is still 50mm.

It's the FOV that changes.

Thanks Sparky, I misunderstood what it was I read then, cleared up.

That's a very common misconception. A 50mm lens is always a 50mm lens, it's just that a DX camera will only see/record part of what the lens is seeing.

I wish people would stop using 'The Crop Factor' as it really only applies when you are comparing the FOV between 35mm film (or FX) to a DX camera.

I wish people would stop using 'The Crop Factor' as it really only applies when you are comparing the FOV between 35mm film (or FX) to a DX camera.
+ 1. Or comparing to any image sensor that is smaller than a full frame image sensor sized the same as a 35 mm frame of film (135 format).

Part of the reason, I suspect, of why Canon and Nikon don't make a lot of 'fast glass' specifically for crop-body cameras is end cost. The glass quality of an f2.8 lens must be a better quality than than of a slower lens. Also, the larger diameter lenses have a bigger area that must be 'perfect'. Even if Canon did make, say, a 24-105 f4 (non-L) with an EF-S mount, they'd essentially be undercutting their own market for the EF mount L lenses.

I also believe that Canon and Nikon both figure the crop-body cameras are usually hobby photographers that aren't out to spend $1000 and up on a lens. Although there are some exceptions, it's near impossible to make an f2.8 lens for less than $1000 retail price.

And, for what it's worth, my L lenses all work quite well on my 60D crop body. There's far too many that 'poo-poo' crop body cameras as if they were 'bottom of the barrel junk'. They definitetly are NOT.

Most reactions

Back