Lenses for nikon d7000? Advice please

RG17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought the Nikon d7000 today but am holding off on lenses until I know for sure what I want. Currently, I own the 18-55 mm 3.5-5.6 G, the 55-200 mm 4-5.6 G.

I plan on purchasing the 50mm 1.4 G, since I hear it's an amazing lens...but would also like to spring for one more. I would like this lens to be under $1000..... preferably between $600-$900. I am planning on shooting a few weddings this summer, but concentrate mostly on portrait photography. (couples, children, families)

I'd rather not get your opinions about my gear and whether or not I should do weddings....just please tell me what your final pick would be for a lens if you could choose only one more. Thanks!

I had a nikon d3000 previously

Congratulations on your new camera. I have a D7000 and I don't like my kit lens very much. I am leaning toward the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 for $669. I already have a 50mm f/1.8 D and like it very much.

I would go with a good prime... the Nikon 85mm 1.8 is amazing value for the money... well under your budget. I've had a 1.8 and the 1.4 (which is the one still in my kit) and the 1.8 is actually very close in terms of IQ... and it's sharp almost to a fault. A good price on the 85 1.8 will allow you to get a 35 1.8 as well, and still stay on budget.

If you can find a used 105mm DC F 2.0 for a good price, it is amazing... it is my lens of choice for portraits on a crop sensor, and the defocus control adds a layer of control in camera that is not achievable elsewhere... If i could choose only one portrait lens (under or close to $1000.00) for the rest of my life, that would be the one...

If primes aren't your thing then I would consider upping your budget or hunting the used market... I've tried myriad zooms on my 7000, but I've only found Nikon's "pro" lenses up to the task of taking full advantage of the sensor. I've said it before and I'll say it again... the 7000 is a fantastic camera when used with excellent glass, but it is otherwise no better than a D90 if you're sticking with kit lenses or their third party equivalents.

I have the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 HSM and the 70-200 f2.8 HSM II for mine ($1100 invested in two lenses, purchased used). I don't think you can find a better deal for the price on these, and give you a hundred-fold increase in IQ over kit lenses.

You can save a $200+ by going for a 50mm f1.4 af-d. Not quite as good as the new af-s G version, but good enough IMO.

After that I'd recommend buying either a 70-200mm f2.8 VR1 ($1350 used), or a 80-200mm f2.8 AFS ($900 used).

Most reactions

Back