What's new

Lenses in Japan?

tmL

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 5, 2011
Messages
81
Reaction score
4
Location
New York
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I might be going on vacation to Japan and China this holiday season and I was wondering if the prices of lenses are cheaper there compared to the US? I tried looking it up online but couldn't really find anything on pricing between countries. Does anyone have any firsthand experience by any chance? To be more specific, I'm looking at the 24-105 L lens for a birthday/Christmas present. Thanks!
 
The exchange rate from dollars to yen is bad at the moment.

It would cost you quite a bit more to buy over here.

Just get it from the US.
 
Supply VS Demand.

Regardless of the exchange rate, Japan consumers are willing to pay a higher price and get better service. You won't find many discount retailers in Japan. Online shopping and credit cards are not as popular in Japan as in the US, and you will most likely pay a premium price in almost any major city. I wouldn't trust anything sold in China.

When I visit family in Japan, I load up with Japanese and American electronics to bring with me. When I was in Japan last year, I brought a new Dell Laptop ($548 online from Dell Outlet vs $1,700 in the Japanese electronic stores), and two new iPod Nano's. (A model not even available in Japan at the time.)

To avoid issues with customs, I just didn't take the laptop box... I placed it in my carry-on.

Other items I bring from the US to Japan to save money include TV Splitters, HDMI Cables, Wireless Routers, Network Cables. I also have brought a Slingbox which I packed in my luggage.

Levis Jeans, Sneakers, Gloves, Underwear, Toothpaste, Deodorant, EYE DROPS, TYLENOL... Bring as much as you can or you'll pay 4x's more there. You won't even find Tylenol, Advil, Ibuprofen. If your shoe size is larger than US size 9 forget about buying anything in Japan. Get a haircut before you leave, unless you want to spend $40.

Another thing... memory cards. Bring them or you'll pay!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom