Lenses, Lenses, Lenses

woodsac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.around395.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It doesn't look like there is a whole lot of support behind the Canon IS lenses. So if they aren't worth the extra $$$ which lenses do you recommend?

Stick with Canon EF, or save a few bucks and go with Sigma or Tamron? And if Sigma or Tamron, which models? I'm not looking to scimp on the gear, but I would like to save as much as possible.

If Sigma makes a lense that is just as good as one of the Canon lenses and is considerably less expensive, then that's the way I wanna go :D

Through B&H or a couple of other *respectable* dealers, I could save a couple hundred dollars by not buying Canon lenses. Remember, this is just an ameteur hobby...I don't need top of the line ;)

Depends on what range you are looking for. There are some great high quality lenses made by 3rd party manufacturers that can help you save a little money and be a savvy shopper, but still getting the quality your looking for.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I had started a seperate thread about the Canon 350D and the Canon IS lenses I was looking at. I was hoping that maybe I could save a few $$$ with Sigma over the IS.

It turns out that I can save a couple hundred when it's all said and done. The 2 Sigma's that I'm looking at are the 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC and the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG. The 18-50 EX is a little more pricey than some of the Canon EF lenses, yet not as expensive as the IS lenses. And the 70-300 Sigma is only about 1/2 the price of the same Canon IS. Oh...and I'd also pick up the Canon 50mm f/1.8.

I'm looking for middle ground. Don't want the best or the worst. I guess I should say I don't need the best...of course I want them :mrgreen: Will those lenses cover most everyday situations? Remember - ameteur ;)

nothing wrong with the IS lenses, it just depends on which ones you look at. the ones (as for now) that i know are worth buying are just the tele's, 70-200 2.8 IS and longer.

I have done a bunch of research on canon, sigma, tamron, tokina, and other lenses and looked at reviews, tests, and comparisons with basically the same questions as you have. You really just have to search around.

That 18-50 is a very fine lens. One of sigma's very best in that range. I would go with that, or if you care about sharper edges, want a wider wide end and dont mind a small sacrifice at the long end, i would go with the tamron DI 17-35 2.8-4. both are quite good. In many comparisons i've read, the 18-50 is actually comparible to canon's 17-40L lens, if not better in some ways. The 70-300 lens I would not recommend though. Unfortunately, there just plain isnt a great lens out there in that range, even canon. There are, however, lenses such as the 70-200, 80-400, 100-300, and even the 50-500. On a 350d, that 70-200 becomes a 112-320mm, so that may be long enough. all of those i listed are very very good, but they are on the pricey side of things. you may want to just get a tamer range, i think you would be dissapointed with the 70-300, either sigma or canon. both are fairly soft, and pretty slow. I'd actually suggest a canon 70-200 f4L. constant aperture, canon L lens, and less than sigma's 70-200 2.8. i'm not exactly sure what your price range is, so i cant really tell exactly about that, or how long of focal length you need. if you need something at least 300mm, you pretty much get what you pay for.

Thanks, that's all good info! Unfortunately, I think most or all of the long lenses you mentioned are out of my price range. I don't recall prices, but I've looked at them. I'm looking at the $200-$500 range. And I realize you get what you pay for. That's why I'm asking. Since I'm on the low end, I'm hoping to get the best I can ;)

if you look well enough, you can find a used 70-200 f4L for 500. but you have to look pretty hard. and you can get the sigma 18-50 or the tamron 17-35 for around 400-500 (i think). if you were looking to spend that much total, i'd suggest either one lens, or maybe primes. never underestimate the greatness of primes :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back