Lenses, vignetting and photoshop

pbelarge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am up a little earlier than I expected, so I was trolling and I have this thought/question.

Some of the lens reviews for Canon lens discuss vignetting, etc...
I understand that the idea is to capture the best shot possible with the camera.
My question really is in regards to the quality of the software in 'photo-repair', which would seem to keep the average person from worrying about too much vignetting that occurs with better glass.

So, when I read these reviews, how should I think/respond my thought process to the vignetting issues stated?

An example is this review - http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

It's an annoyance more than anything. Plus, most Canon lenses have an automatic correction algorithm built into the camera with a database for how to correct all lenses individually. So unless the lens is absolutely brand new and the preipheral illumination correction hasn't been updated, its nothing more than some extra annoying steps in PP. Nothing too much to worry about.

It's an annoyance more than anything. Plus, most Canon lenses have an automatic correction algorithm built into the camera with a database for how to correct all lenses individually. So unless the lens is absolutely brand new and the preipheral illumination correction hasn't been updated, its nothing more than some extra annoying steps in PP. Nothing too much to worry about.
Not being a Canon shooter, that's a new one on me.

Seriously? They cut corners that much? (no pun intended)

Well I'd rather have them go out of their way to eliminate it entirely than leave it for PP issues. I dont understand how it's cutting corners. Most of the lenses aren't bad at all, and this is a nice suppliment to save needless PP corrections. They keep a database of correction for each specific lens, which is not only convenient, but is much better than a generalized "fix vignetting" feature. Some lenses have it pretty bad; the 24-105, wide open at 24mm isn't exactly amazing, but many others only warrent a slight tweak. The feature can also be turned on or off at any time. I personally love it.

Canon Digital Learning Center - What's New in the EOS Line: Peripheral Illumination Correction

Not being a Canon shooter, that's a new one on me.

Seriously? They cut corners that much? (no pun intended)

What don't you get? And where is the corner cutting? Lenses vignette, and you can correct it in camera software or in post.....or stop down your aperture. LOL

Most reactions

Back