Lenses

jusejuse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm really new into all this digital SLR talk :p
But hmm... I was wondering what's the difference between a standard zoom lens and wide angle lens?
Well I understand that a wide angle lens speaks for itself.
What I really want is if anybody can show me pictures of how different pictures look using both lenses? Anybody care to share some examples?

If you really wanna feel the difference go to a camera store (or even best buy) and try out some display models. The lens will be labeled and you can see what each mm looks like,

You have to be careful of the catch words that are used to sell lenses. A lot of the time, words like 'Macro' and 'wide angle' are used, when they are not entirely accurate.

You need to go by the numbers. A lens's filed of view is a result of it's focal length, and the camera that you are using will also have an affect.

So if you are thinking of a camera like a Canon EOS Rebel (XT, XTi, XSi) or a Nikon D40 or D60....then a focal length of about 18mm will be wide (but not really wide). The 'normal' range on these cameras is about 18mm to 50mm. You might find a lens that is 35mm or 24mm and called 'wide angle'...which might have been true on a film camera...but not on these cameras.

As mentioned, go into a store and play with the cameras and look at the focal length markings on the lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back