What's new

Let’s go Cruisin’!

480sparky47 46

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Joined
Mar 8, 2011
Messages
25,394
Reaction score
9,148
Location
Iowa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Local auto show today. Perfect day: cool and totally overcast!

1.
350_Post.jpg~original



2.
ReverseReflection_Post.jpg~original



3.
BlackChrome_Post.jpg~original



4.
RecessedAntenna_Post.jpg~original



5.
SteeringReflections_Post.jpg~original



6.
RearView_Post.jpg~original



7.
BlueTeardropandGrill_Post.jpg~original



8.
DoubleReflection_Post.jpg~original
 
Suicide Knob. Been a while. Such a wonderful set. thanks sparky
 
Love these, Sparky! I'll have to go back through later and pick my favorites, but these are definitely MY kind of car shots. I'm not really into cars, but I love all the details on them. I do know I especially liked the recessed antenna and #17, "Dreams."

Suicide Knob. Been a while. Such a wonderful set. thanks sparky

I assume that's the extra "knob" on that steering wheel? I wondered what that thing was--so, call me ignorant (no, don't...you can THINK it, but don't say so out loud please. :lol: ) but what does it DO?
I've driven some pretty old cars in my lifetime, but if I've ever seen one with that before, I don't remember it.
 
.........I assume that's the extra "knob" on that steering wheel? I wondered what that thing was--so, call me ignorant (no, don't...you can THINK it, but don't say so out loud please. :lol: ) but what does it DO?
I've driven some pretty old cars in my lifetime, but if I've ever seen one with that before, I don't remember it.

Steering Knob. AKA Suicide Knob, Necking/Necker Knob, Spinner. A knob placed on your steering wheel allowing you to drive with one hand, leaving the other free to put around your date. A knob attached to the rim of a steering wheel that enables a driver to turn the wheel by moving the knob. Very common in the late 1940s and through the 1950s. Illegal in most places since then.
 
.........I assume that's the extra "knob" on that steering wheel? I wondered what that thing was--so, call me ignorant (no, don't...you can THINK it, but don't say so out loud please. :lol: ) but what does it DO?
I've driven some pretty old cars in my lifetime, but if I've ever seen one with that before, I don't remember it.

Steering Knob. AKA Suicide Knob, Necking/Necker Knob, Spinner. A knob placed on your steering wheel allowing you to drive with one hand, leaving the other free to put around your date. A knob attached to the rim of a steering wheel that enables a driver to turn the wheel by moving the knob. Very common in the late 1940s and through the 1950s. Illegal in most places since then.

The reason that knob got it's AKA Suicide knob, was you could turn the wheel so fast,that a lot of cars got flipped.
 
too many to comment on, but 4... seems like you could have done a LOT with that in an abstracty sort of way.

8 was nice.
 
The reason that knob got it's AKA Suicide knob, was you could turn the wheel so fast,that a lot of cars got flipped.

A lot of old cars had 6-8 turn steering wheel set-ups before the steering mechanism would reach it's limit. Unless you had super-human strength in those pre-power-steering days, I can't conceive anyone turning the wheel that fast. With today's power steering, and most cars today only turn 1-3 full turns before the mechanism stops, I can see flipping over in a J-turn.

I think the reason they're illegal now is because of the potential for injury caused by sudden tire movement being transferred back to the steering wheel. You hit a pothole or curb and end up with a broken wrist, thumb, etc. They were also known to get caught up in loose clothing.
 
Very nice. You can send the vehicles in #4 and #12 to my house, please.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom