Let's discuss Color Calibration sheets and devices for during shooting and after shooting.

daGGoth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are about using Color Calibration sheet for Color and White Balance tuning before a shot. (Such as the X-Rite Passport)

How many people here use them? Do you always use them? Do you not use them? Do you just let your camera decide and correct by Eye in Post?

And taking it a step further, at what point does everyone start worrying about calibrating their display?

I hear many photographers swear by using the cards. Some say they just use a White Balance Card. And some professionals just edit away on a Retina iMac and never bother correcting colors.

I'm about to start my Business in 2017 and I want to do it right. There are some many Photographer's around here making some decent money but producing horrible results that oddly enough, people are happy with.

I was just curious who where uses either or both of the above methods, and at what point did you start.

Thanks!

So I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are about using Color Calibration sheet for Color and White Balance tuning before a shot. (Such as the X-Rite Passport)

How many people here use them? Do you always use them? Do you not use them? Do you just let your camera decide and correct by Eye in Post?

And taking it a step further, at what point does everyone start worrying about calibrating their display?

I hear many photographers swear by using the cards. Some say they just use a White Balance Card. And some professionals just edit away on a Retina iMac and never bother correcting colors.

I'm about to start my Business in 2017 and I want to do it right. There are some many Photographer's around here making some decent money but producing horrible results that oddly enough, people are happy with.

I was just curious who where uses either or both of the above methods, and at what point did you start.

Thanks!

I shoot raw only and so have no need to adjust WB before shooting. I will shoot a WB reference after taking the photo to use during processing. Let camera decide? Never, they're my photos. I have an X-Rite passport but use it rarely to generate camera profiles since for the most part I'm happy with the input profiles I get from the raw converters I use.

A calibrated display is essential and I won't touch a photograph except on a good quality calibrated display. I have a calibrated laptop I keep for convenience but will not process photos on it as the display is TN.

I use X-Rite calibration hardware to calibrate my displays and to create printer profiles.

Joe

For starters, I'm a hobbyist.

I'm the same as Joe, where I don't adjust WB prior to shooting. I do have a simple grey card that I will use on an infrequent basis, otherwise I use LR's default settings to get me close enough for me customize.

I typically use a calibrated screen thanks to a Datacolor Spyder, but I will use other displays here and there.

Interesting Joe! So - even though you shoot in RAW (Which I also shoot in, with a D610) you don't always use the Passport for each different shoot?

Which X-Rite do you use? I just picked up a i1Display Pro with the Passport, so I'm excited to start using it.

I'll be editing everything on a 10-Bit Panel with a Quadro Card so I'll see the 10-Bit through and through.

Interesting Joe! So - even though you shoot in RAW (Which I also shoot in, with a D610) you don't always use the Passport for each different shoot?

I shoot a WB reference card which is easier for me to carry than the Passport. I have a WB reference card in every camera bag and always in my coat and jacket pockets (there's two of them right now on my desk) as opposed to having to remember to get the passport or have 5 Passports which starts getting expensive. I don't use the Passport to set WB. I only use it to create an occasional input profile.

Which X-Rite do you use? I just picked up a i1Display Pro with the Passport, so I'm excited to start using it.

I'll be editing everything on a 10-Bit Panel with a Quadro Card so I'll see the 10-Bit through and through.

I use the X-Rite ColorMunki Photo.

Joe

I'm a hobbiest as well.

I calibrate my monitor and my tablet and will edit on them both. I calibrate them one a month or before I start editing if it's been longer.

I do have white, black and grey cards that are usually with me if my camera is but I don't tend to use them unless the lighting is tricky or I'm shooting jpegs. Mostly I know where I want the tones in the scene to be so I'll spot meter and put them where I want on the histogram with final tweeking done in post. Mostly I'm shooting raw with auto WB.

I'm about to start my Business in 2017 and I want to do it right.

Well we can't really answer your question unless you provide us more information.

What will you be photographing? AND what will the photos be used for?

I photograph historical documents at work and the photos are often used to make reproductions. So I absolutely shoot with a color target so that the reproductions can be made to look just like he originals.

If you are photographing products for the web or doing family photos then you won't need one at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back