Lets say you're having a newborn... your first!

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So like the title says, our first baby will be arriving around August 15th! I'm not new to photography anymore, however I am new to portraits and newborns! :lol: I've done a lot of reading, but wanted to get some TPF input. If it were you, and you having all the time/occasions to setup/learn with your own child... what would you have equipment/prop wise? I've done a ton of reading, and come down to a few things.

Current equipment is : d7000, 50/1.8, 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses, and sunpak flash listed in sig

First off, I know natural light is best for babies, but my wife is getting me the kit below for my birthday so I can learn a little about lighting... so if theres some tips for using these lights with babies please forward them my way! I will eventually get a set of battery packs for these as well.

Flashpoint FP320MPWK Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit FP320MPWK

Also, I figure a reflector kit of sorts, still learning/deciding on which. Suggestions welcome.

What other "must haves"? My time is getting limited and I'm trying to get a list of things to order together for when she arrives and I'm getting right overwhelmed with trying to make up my mind. I guess being my own child, and our first I'm putting a lot of un-needed pressure on myself.

In short, if you were doing a newborn shoot with your own child (time wont be limited is my point) what would you bring/have?

Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?
There's a lot of cute costumes out there: I would start there. If it's a girl, always with the fairy wings, angel wings, etc.
A favorite plush toy? Teddy bear, blocks, maybe a toy that you used to play with when you were younger
Blocks with the name written on it.

I find that as important as the photo equipment is, the background that you are creating, and the elements you are using are even a bigger part of it!

Hire a pro now to take images the first week after he or she is born.

Do not shoot up the babies nose! That is the #1 best peice of advice. Another common mistake is laying the baby flat on his/her back, instead, lay the baby more on his/her side.

A big full bean bag chair works well, but don't forget to get a waterproof cover for the naked baby shots.

Also, I guess some props are ok, but don't be afraid to NOT use props. The most precious newborn pictures I have done/seen involve nothing but the baby. Be very patient, newborn shoots generally take between 2-4 hours.

Easy on the props unless you're looking for kitch. Also, just stick with window light with drapes over it and a reflector. Very classy.

Make sure either the room is really warm or you have a heater near the baby so it doesn't get cold.

Heat the room so the baby can sleep. I prefer natural light and swallow dof with kids/babbies. This is one shot i did of my baby girl when she was 1 month old.

this is on the floor of her bedroom. I used the large windows for lighting.

4.jpg

thanks to every one else who replied with something relevant to me shooting my own baby and not hiring some one else to do what i'm capable of. 99% of "pros" around here don't impress me anyways. fact is, i wanna learn and experience it myself. i'm capable enough i can get something we will be happy with.

and by props, i didnt mean tacky, i meant as in beanbags, blankets, etc. thanks for all the help yall.

Have you seen Jaiden Photography? She's out of Jacksonville Florida, and puts on pretty amazing shots. She will occasionally post pics on her FB page of pullbacks, and also shows you how to do composite shots (although, she does not recommend for your first newborn shoot :) ).

Good luck, and I hope you post some shots here! Congrats dad! :)

Most reactions

Back