Let's start a debate!(just kidding)

So, you're saying that you asked the user what he thought about his photo, he answered with what he didn't like, and you helped him from there?

I'd be more willing to post pictures and ask for C&C, if I thought for a second that people would actually be helpful and not insulting.
If they'd get to the point and say, "Do this, or this, or this" or "Don't do this next time, or try doing this, or..." instead of, "That's a really sh!tty picture and it means nothing to me and you obviously don't know what you are doing!" or the person gets told to google aperture or shutter speed.

Because I lurk here a lot and have seen comments like that. And I find those comments not very helpful to the beginners who haven't quite developed their "eye" yet.

When I got my camera, I had NO IDEA what aperture was. NONE. I didn't have a book. I turned the camera on (yeah, I figured that out fast), flipped the mode dial to different modes, messed with settings and got some crappy, crappy pics at first. I just pushed buttons and snapped shots. I even took some that I thought were decent.
I DID google aperture. I DID google shutter speed. And I DID google ISO.

I would love to post a picture, have someone ask me what I thought about it, knowing that I would get honest, and TACTFUL feedback and help.
I don't expect people to be soft with me, but I also don't expect people to throw in useless, mindless, and mean comments just because they can.
Just because they know more about photography than a beginner does.

I am very much a hands-on learner. But I still bought the books to help me learn more and for reference and suggestions.

yes... i remember the thread.... and worked well.... in that case the noob suspected and indentified some problems with his pictures...

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking the poster what they think of their own pictures....

I think many people have views on their photos, but don't want to colour the views of others and so stay tight lipped. In the end to them its the same as if the things they find wrong are pointed out then they know they are thinking right.
If there problems are not noticed by others it means that they are either way too picky or its not as big a problem as they think (or there are worse problems that they have missed)

I would love to post a picture, have someone ask me what I thought about it, knowing that I would get honest, and TACTFUL feedback and help.
I don't expect people to be soft with me, but I also don't expect people to throw in useless, mindless, and mean comments just because they can.
Just because they know more about photography than a beginner does.

I agree with you. We all like to have constructive feed back. However, the fact is not all people will or can do that. And we just need to accept it. No need to be too upset. :wink:

Think about this way, if my picture is bad. Person A said it is trash. Will it hurt? Yes of course, I spent hours to make that picture. Will it stop me from making another one? No. At least I know my picture is not good. Or at least someone still think it is not good. May be I should ask why?

I believe that is how to get to the next level. Imagine that, you want to show other people that you can do it. Now you have a goal. To achieve the goal, you work harder. Then you get the result.

Think about how much joy is when Person A now said "OMG, how did you do that?" after seeing your new photos.

So I will say, it is okay for someone to leave bad comment on your picture even if it is not constructive at all. Just take it easy. At least they are honest. And at least I know I need to try harder.

Well, I agree, mostly, with what you're saying.

I'm always split with my opinions/thoughts on things like this.

I guess what it REALLY comes down to is: If you're not taking pictures, professionally, and you don't know that you ever will, then what really matters is what YOU think of your pictures.

Sure, we all want to improve (ESPECIALLY the beginners), so we will have to endure a few nasty comments to get to the good ones, it's just some people can be downright nasty.

Also its important to note that some people are not nasty but factual. This is the web and some people will speak in a formal and direct manner - taking no time to waste typing time on pleasentarys. As such they will point out the negative points in a photo and comment on them directly and without sugar coating.
They are not trying to be mean or nasty, but helping by pointing out where the photographer has gone wrong.

No, I understand that. Like I said, I wouldn't expect anyone to be soft with me, or even go out of their way to falsely compliment a photo of mine.

I'm talking about comments where it's obvious that the repliers are being nasty, and that's ALL they are being.
Or am I the only one that has seen those types of comments here before?

I don't know. Maybe I am being too soft?

Nope - if you ever see a post where you think the person is being unessessarily cruel to another (even if its not you) then the best thing to do is click here
point.jpg

on the post and report it to a mod!

Sure, we all want to improve (ESPECIALLY the beginners), so we will have to endure a few nasty comments to get to the good ones, it's just some people can be downright nasty.

Yes. don't you hate it when that happen? (the nasty comments):(

I guess we all need to learn how to cope with it and how to turn the negative to positive. Most of the time, you can still find positive side from the negative situation.

Just relax and take a deep breath. :)

Hard to ask what I asked without people assuming i'm against people asking questions. I never mentioned newb, never mentioned not liking their questions etc.

What I said was why doesn't anyone ever ask each other what they think of their own photos. I've done this before and the user was actually able to tell me what they didn't like about their photo. From that the issues were answered and the user was happy.

I remember that post too. I thought it was an excellent question!

My earlier reply may have gotten a little sideways with the intent of the original thread, I was taking the entire thread together and just started typing. :(

I'm in support of what you are saying about asking people's own opinion about their photos. I think that is a great idea. :thumbup:

When I first started here and looking at different photos, I could definately pick out the good ones and the bad ones. Some people would disagree about the ones in the middle. I would look for traits that made one picture better than another and by reading others comments.

Asking people what they thought about their own photo would give everyone a hint about where they were in their photography progression.

I just hope someone doesn't post a really bad photo and when askes, says they think its the best photo ever taken... That would make for some interesting comments...:p

Most reactions

Back