LF and hiking, decision problem

As mentioned above, "a stroll" is not what I am going for ;)
I have to admit I forgot since tis forum is so American;)You do know that I'm Anglo-Irish, don't you? Scott's trip to the South Pole and (almost) back would classify as a fairly long walk. Anything less I'd call 'just a stroll'. Soloing the Lauper Route on the Eiger was 'a pleasant day on the hill'.
This forum is so American sometimes, so I forgot! But you are right of course ;)

I helped someone carry a large format phase one camera out of the subway hike in Zion. It was heavy and by the end of the day he was toasted. On another day did it with a guy who had a 4x5 film camera. He still had a HEAVY pack and managed to carry it himself, but the rest of the group had to carry his food, water, etc.
Well, in the mountains maximum weight so far was about 34kg on my back. possible, but not pleasant. I prefer to stay in between 20 and 30kg. So that leaves some room for camera and tripod. Of course I will try to keep weight as low as possible.

There's still the matter of film. 10 shots in 4x5 stored in holders takes up 2 1/2 inches by 4 3/4 by 6 3/4 inches (5 film holders) and you need to have a care with the film holders or else you'll ruin what you've shot. 25 sheets in holders will be as bulky as your camera.

If you take a changing bag and a box of film you can get by with 3 or 4 film holders but you still have to store the film until you develop it and you still have to have a care with it after exposing. If you limit yourself to B&W you can develop on the trail if you take all the tanks and chem with you but that's weight too.

Something to consider anyway.

You can always use 6-shot Grafmatic holders, or the similar 8-shot Fuji QuickChange holders. The Grafmatics are still a bit heavy, but they do save some bulk. I have no experience of the Fuji holders, but they might be a better alternative. See Dirk Rosler's Google group here.

I should trot out my often-posted picture of a modified Polaroid 110B with a Grafmatic holder beside it:
6517987-md.jpg

Best,
Helen

Last edited:
Alex, if you are still monitoring this thread there are some killer deals on Fuji GX680s on e-bay right now.

Big, heavy things but they have some movement and use 120 film (OK, I know but I couldn't imagine carrying all that gear and running out of film). I don't know your budget but one of these would give you the movements of a field camera (more or less, I don't own one of the gx680s to know for sure) and you would have the option of a wide angle and a longer one as well.

fuji gx 680 | eBay.

As Darrel mentioned you can get a roll film back for a 4x5 and have both (I've got a 6x7 and a 6x9 and they both tend to travel with the Speed), I just brought up the GX 680s because I hadn't seen them going so cheaply. It looks like a studio in Japan is selling off a few.

Any way, keep us informed.

Have a nice 'walk'

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, still monitoring the thread and. meditating :) Thanks for all the replies. Will keep you updated :)

Just to keep you updated:

Looks like for the hiking purpose I finally decided for 4x5 (at least one decision finally ;-) ).

Favourite cameras right now are:

1. TOHO FC45 X (lightweight monorail, maximum flexibility in movements)

2. Tachihara 4x5

3. Chamonix 045N-2

The TOHO seems near to impossible to get in Europe ... I will keep an eye on ebay and wherever if I can ever catch one. But for this summer it seems impossible to get.

The Chamonix seems a good camera, but lacks the nostalgic touch of the Tachihara, so hence I think my current favourite is the Tachihara.

It appears to be hard to get one in Europe these days, and good 2nd hand offers are very rare and overpriced. But nevertheless I will try if I will have any luck.

As for the larger formats, I want to keep my workflow compatible up to 8x10 if possible, just in case I will later get a larger format camera such as a Linhof or similar/cheaper. But they would not be for hiking, just for car based journeys ;-)

.. so first goal now: to get a Tachihara plus one or two lenses (maybe around 75 and one around 120mm)

Alex, where will you be walking?

A wide certainly but have you thought about a long tele?

Somehow visions of something like Ansel Adams caught with long vistas come to mind. Maybe a convertible?

Somehow visions of something like Ansel Adams caught with long vistas come to mind. Maybe a convertible?

Yes, I thought of a tele and I know there are situations were I would want one. But I want to keep weight down ;) So I am not sure.

At the current stage of planning it looks like I will be one week canoeing and one week mountain rambling in the mountains of Northern Scandinavia at the Arctic circle.
I might decide against the LF aspect on that trip last second, but I want to give it a try this summer so I will know if I will take the camera onto the trip in late summer or not.

Yes, I thought of a tele and I know there are situations were I would want one. But I want to keep weight down ;) So I am not sure.

At the current stage of planning it looks like I will be one week canoeing and one week mountain rambling in the mountains of Northern Scandinavia at the Arctic circle.
I might decide against the LF aspect on that trip last second, but I want to give it a try this summer so I will know if I will take the camera onto the trip in late summer or not.

Snap :D
40893656_uEA6F-L.jpg

Made your way to Murmansk? It is very close ...

Made your way to Murmansk? It is very close ...

No we rode to the old boarder, just a rusty old gate where there are white pegs showing where the divide is between Norway and Russia so we hopped over the line for a quick dance good job we were not seen could have been in trouble :lol: so we did enter Russia would love to go on my bike but my partner will not go

Most reactions

Back