Light GREEN screen from behind?

photoboy33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all,

Ive used green screens before. But want to now know----- how to light one FROM BEHIND?

Ie Use a daylight window to do it.

1. I bought green cellophane. But its kind of messy to use. But worse, 1 layer is hardly green
at all. You can see right through it with just barely a green tint.

Any ideas?

thanks

A chroma key background is NOT meant to be lit from behind. If you want a translucent green background, I would try something like a shower current and put a couple of cuts of green gel on your light(s).

Thanks for reply.

This location has limited power. So I was trying to save power, by using the window light BEHIND
some type of green gel. But green cellophane is too thin. The photo gels I looked at are too small
for a window.

Is this for still photography or video?

Do you want an actual green background for your photo, or is the idea to extract the subject and/or replace the background?

The point I'm getting at, is that if you are extracting the subject and not using some sort of automatic process that needs green, then maybe you don't need green.

Extracting a subject from a background just requires that your subject not blend with the background...it could be white, black, grey etc. Those have the added advantage that they don't add a color to the subject like a green/blue background might do.

I have never lit a green screen from behind and don't have much experience lighting them in general but wouldn't lighting it from behind result in a lot of spill onto the subject? I am thinking it would be as if you are pointing a light through green paper at the subject, I would think it would make them have a green hue to them.

Most reactions

Back