Light meter suggestion

sothoth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a handheld light meter, and have never had one before. I'm hoping for suggestions. I don't want to pay over $100 (at least not by much). I know there are several methods for determining light, but frankly I don't know the difference, so if anyone can suggest something simple, but reasonably effective, that would be GREAT. I'll use it as a companion to a Hasselblad 500CM.

my friend has the sekonic L-358 but i think she paid over $200 for it. she does love it!

Your first rough cut is to decide if you want a meter that will handle flash as well as normal light.

Next, you have to decide on an incidence (light falling on the subject/object/scene) or a reflectance (light reflected from the subject/object/scene) meter. Some can do both.

Hint: you can use a reflectance meter as an incidence meter by reading a grey card. Two grey cards cost about $6US.

Last, there's the question of new vs. used.

The best bang for the buck light meter, which includes a flash meter, I have ever used is the Sekonic L-308. Easy, simple, reliable and has everything I've ever needed. Should be had used for $120-$150.

Another very popular one is the Gossen digisix ultra and/or flash. I personally didn't like it (build quality.. small..) expensive for what it is but my opinion is the minority. $150/$199(w/flash meter). These you should find used pretty easily as they were/are popular.

The best shoe mount I've ever (borrowed) used on older non-meter cameras was the Voigtlander VC meter. They go for new at $190 at BHphoto. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them for sale used very much. Very popular in the rangefinder crowed and on my "want" list.
Some good info on the VC here:
http://www.cameraquest.com/voivcmet.htm

There are some old (antique) meters available for pocket change. Unfortunately the selenium types often go bad with time. I still have one that measures pretty darn accurate against the Digital Sekonic and still gets use... so thats a possibility but there's a risk of getting an inaccurate/bad one:

Equip_21_RT16.jpg

I agree. I own an L358 and although more features, I would have been happy with my L-308 if someone hadn't stolen it!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking over a few used L-308s and am seeing some for about $115, so I might scoop one up. Thanks again!!

Most reactions

Back