Light Meter

myko5

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With the recent addition of some alien bees, I figure the best way to learn how to use them is just practice. To help limit error in the trial and error I think that a light meter would definitely be of great help. Right now I really do not have the extra funds to purchase an actual light meter.

So.... anyone use any Iphone apps that work well?

I realize they are not too the capabilities of an actual meter, but will it help?

Thanks

Buddy of mine has that app, when we were shooting a job together (while setting up) we tested the difference b/n the app and actual light meter.
In doors either for flash or ambient light, app was off by a stop and was inconsistent, compared to light meter. When we ran test shots based on the app, the inconsistency continued. However, outdoors during day time, app was pretty accurate with minor 1/3 variations here/there.

Good Luck

You may have better luck metering with your camera than the apps from my experience.

Also if you save pennies for a basic Sekonic 358 you will not regret it.

are there any decent meters in the $100 range?? I would rather put my saved pennies towards some glass, but I realize a light meter would benefit me quite a bit also.

are there any decent meters in the $100 range?? I would rather put my saved pennies towards some glass, but I realize a light meter would benefit me quite a bit also.

Have a look on ebay for a Minolta iv or v very expensive when new and very good

We tested the light meter app with an iphone 4 at the lab at school and surprisingly it matched several camera meters students had for class.

milage is going to vary with any light meter as one day we ran some test with about 20 students, reading the light on the same exact spot and only two came up with the same suggestion. All the cameras used gave great negatives , but that was probably due to the fact all had been tested for personal EI for the students. Even then there was a board range of what those EI were.

I had a Sekonic before it met an untimely death in the ocean. I then bought a Polaris for $150 and it suits me wonderfully.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back