Fujifilm - Too Much Noise in Low Light?

Dahrol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I get my new Nikon DSLR three weeks after I start at the Art Institute in 10 days, but what I've been messing with is a Fujifilm FINEPIX S2940 that is a pain in the arse when it comes to focus, sharpness, and any kind of low light picture taking, even with the ISO increased.

296129_2021953788625_1237354145_31766309_2017267618_n.jpg

The camera I wanted was out of my price range, and for the same price of my camera, I could have gotten a small pocket Nikon digital camera, but the zoom wasn't impressive and I didn't see a macro button.

I took a risk and purchased this one, because I was a fool and judged the book by the cover. It can occasionally take nice shots, but most of the time, the focus has a mind of its own, even when placed on a tripod. The video feature constantly goes in and out of focus while filming, so it's no better.

How can I work with this camera until I get my nikon? Could I be doing anything wrong with the way I've been using it in terms of focus and trying to eliminated noise while taking photos either in the dark or in dimly lit rooms?

I'm not up to speed on all the terminology yet, so what's that mean in laymen's terms? lol

autofocusing doesnt work too well in low light either. if your camera has a manual focus option, try that out and youll get the results you want from the focus standpoint at least. for low light, you could try a lower ISO to reduce noise and just allow the shutter to stay open longer.

sorry, but i dont know anything about that camera so if none of the above is any help, then just wait for that nikon dslr and have fun blasting away at it!

Dahrol said:
I'm not up to speed on all the terminology yet, so what's that mean in laymen's terms? lol

There are three variables; ISO, Shutter, and Aperture.

As light dims, you will need a slower shutter to let in more light in order to obtain a proper exposure. Too slow of a shutter speed and your hand shake will introduce motion blur. A slow shutter speed will also blur subjects in motion.

To counter a slow shutter, you can collect more light with a lens that has a faster (lower number ) aperture, Most PS cameras and bridge cameras are not equipped with a lens with fast optics. A limit...

This leaves one last variable. ISO which is a number that describes the sensitivity of the film or media... in this case a digital sensor. Small sensored PS and bridge cameras in general have sensors that do not work well beyond ISO 400 -800. Pushing the sensor beyond will narrow dynamic range, introduce noise, and loose detail. Another limit.

Possible solutions... all work on one of those three variables.

Yo dont have the option of using faster optics... as you camera is fixed lens... so Aperture is limited

Improving ISO performance entails a newer better sensor.. a new camera.... so ISO is limited

So lets examine shutter... For still subjects, use a tripod and allow the shutter to lengthen freeing you to work the other two variables to your advantage; lowering the Iso and using a reasonable aperture.

Another option is simply adding more light.... ambient and creative flash.

I'm excited on what the Nikon can do for me. It's an expensive DSLR that comes with my tuition and whatnot, so I'm looking to see a major improvement in what I'll be allowed to do with the camera.

youll find a world of difference between a dslr and what you have now. but just remember its always more about the photographer than the equipment, so study hard :lol:

The camera has to be able to at the minimum, capture the vision you've set forth. If you've done all you can on your end and you still don't get that vision that YOU see, then the camera is at fault.

If your camera refuses to focus, you can't make it focus.

You can control the angles when shooting and post production can be a key component of what you want to convey, but in the end, it's whether or not the camera is prepped to do your bidding. You have to be able to make the camera do what you want it to do, at least to the point of "awesome. Now I can improve this in post production."

If you can't even get an image that you can improve, then you have a problem.

You can also control pre production. You have to work within the limitations your tools have. Of coursre you have to know what those limitations are.

If you understand how the camera's auto focus system works, you can usually figure out a way to help it auto focus, like using a flashlight in a low light situation so the auto focus system can 'see'. Of course with many camera's you can take over the focusing function and do it manually.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back