What's new

Light meters

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
1,315
Reaction score
75
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know they are helpful... but are they a necessity? I think they are necessary if im gonna use strobes and flashes... but they cost too much! :x Anyone know of a cheap or DIY way to meter light from strobes?
 
Actually, if you're shooting with a digital camera, chimping will get you where you want to be pretty quickly. Then, as you gain experience with it, you'll get a better feel 'about' where you need to start with your settings, and you can dial in from there.

I've got a terrific Sekonic L-558R meter, but rarely use it except when I'm shooting film, where I can't just chimp to the punchline in a couple of test shots.
 
I got lazy for a few months after first switching to digital. Why should I meter when I can simply look at the screen? It actually saves time when you can walk around on set with a meter and trigger and set each light, instead of running back to the camera.

Plus, you know the exact output of each light. It's an important detail if you're doing something sophisticated - like tying to achieve specific highlights, wrap, etc.

I make my assistants learn how to do it using an older Polaris meter.
 
I think a good flash meter is essential if you're working with strobes, but for day to day digital work? No. I have two (Luna Pro F and Minolta Flash V) and the only time I use them is for studio work, or when I drag the medium-format gear out. As far as they're being expensive? No, not really - used Gossen meters can be had on eBay or Craig's list for very little money.
 
Actually, if you're shooting with a digital camera, chimping will get you where you want to be pretty quickly.

Wrong. It will get you close but chimping will never get you where a meter does.

As they say in carpentry: measure twice, cut once. I use my meter everyday and I have 20+ years of studio. Wally world type studios can get away with out a meter but that's about it.
 
Here is a listing for a use Sekonic 308 by on of the members of this board. The listing is on another forum.
PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum
Thanks! :thumbup:

That meter is also listed right here at TPF: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/222907-fs-sekonic-l-308s-flashmate-light-meter.html

I looked here. I just missed it. :blushing:
Ya, members threads wouldn't get pushed down so fast if there was a minimum # of posts required to sell stuff.

My threads are back near the top now. :thumbup:

I was a Supporting Member for a year, but that didn't help any.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom