Light on a stick?

artsiimages

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey! I am a fairly new photographer and have been checking out lots of different images. There are particular images that I like where it seems that the photographers are actually holding a light above the subject so that just a small area is lit up. Then at a wedding once I saw an assistant holding what seems like a flash on a pole above the subject and was wondering if this was how they got that look. If so, where can I buy those sticks to mount my 430ex on? Thanks!

without seeing the photo I do not think anyone can say for sure.
If you are looking for just a little light on a subject, look into building a snoot for your speedlight, it can just be made out of thick paper or craft foan and cost next to nothing.
As for the sticks, you can make them yourself, you just need a pole and threaded insert for the end and a threaded hot shoe adapter. in total, you could make a set for around $20.00

They are just monopods with a head that holds a hotshoe mount. You could use normal lightstands and simply not unfold them too.

Actually while looking for an example I stumbled across this gem:

FlashFlavor.com

I don't think it's possible to answer more specifically than that :D

http://flashflavor.com/blog/75 the example I was looking for. An action shot at the very bottom of this page.

Thanks! Those links definitely help. I think I know what I'm looking for now!

Just get a stick, and screw a hotshoe adaptor into it. Or use the stand that came with the flash, and mount that to it.

Even better, a cheap monopod, add a $2 stair bracket, and add 2 flashes to that. You can add about 1 full stop of power over a single flash for greater distances or use both flashes at lower power for increased battery life. You will need some form of wireless trigger to activate the flashes from a distance, though.

Personally this would be my choice instead of a flash on a stick.
Flash Helmet

I predict that this will be the next photographic fashion accessory that every one will want. :lmao:

I honestly really find the fact the woman in the Flash Helmet series is for real. There is a point when you have to ask yourself, huh?

gryphonslair99 - I'm a big Jeff Dunham fan. Just plain funny.

-Nick

That flash helmet is brilliant. Not because of what it does directly, but because it would be a fantastic excuse to make yourself a little more silly and approachable, which would get relaxed and cheerful expressions out of the people you shot.

Hmm. What a great idea. If only I was goofy and brave enough to pull it off.

Most reactions

Back