Why not?
I always find it interesting when people say that.
If it is the background, then step away from it, your too close to it, and its not helping the shot. I think there needs to be something sharp in the picture.
You're probably very limited to what kind of settings you can use on that (somewhat old) hybrid point and shoot Fuji.. If you really like light painting get an entry level DSLR and a shutter release cable and you can leave the shutter open as long as you like..
I was not aware you were shooting with an old point and shoot. If its all you have, use it, have fun, learn composition and lighting, then once you get a SLR, you will have a good start.
I still say its noisy, but I think I understand why now.
Anyways, for the camera you used it looks like a decent result.
I would try experimenting more tho with the way the light flows.. in this instance i think the vertical line kinda breaks it up too much... but i like that your still in shot rather than it just being about the light.