Light painting?

droidz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, while experimenting with long exposures, i came across that fancy technique called light painting. I looked through some pictures on the web, and i ended up with 1 question:

how is it that only the light shows up in the image and not the person holding the light source? especially in images where there is a background emitting light, i.e. light painting a street where there is a street light in the background.

wait explain which one you saw online. I hope it's what I'm thinking of and not "playing with lights" crap.

wait explain which one you saw online. I hope it's what I'm thinking of and not "playing with lights" crap.

something like this i guess

ryg.jpg

noooo broo! This is what I'm talking about!

Man I wish I could do this one day!

and

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, not this again. Let's just leave it as a "difference of opinion", lol. Mo... is it ok if I call you Mo? It's a lot easier to type, lol. ...doesn't like what we are calling "light painting". BTW: EVERYONE calls moving a light to create an image LIGHT PAINTING, lol. I've only seen those YouTube videos call that form "light painting". Everywhere else, it's been "selective light", or something like that.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun. If you want a person to show up without bluring (noone can hold still that long), fire a flash when you get them in position and then have them move out of the frame.

So, the other "painting with light" stuff is "crap"?

Yes since age 10 English has been my 2nd language. YES it's CRAP! 15 year olds can take their cameras put it in long exposure and play with light and come up with that CRAP. But t takes some serious skills to pull off what I posted above.

Oh yah and MO is just fine :)

So, the other "painting with light" stuff is "crap"?

Yes since age 10 English has been my 2nd language. YES it's CRAP! 15 year olds can take their cameras put it in long exposure and play with light and come up with that CRAP. But t takes some serious skills to pull off what I posted above.

Oh yah and MO is just fine :)
I disagree. Just like any other genre of photography, some fire away without much thought, while others put a great deal of thought, planning and effort into their work. I'll give you just one example, since it's one of mine:

The_Enchanted_Place_6273.jpg

After weeks of planning and preparation, I set the scene with camera @ ISO 100, on a tripod, pre-focused and set to bulb, then took my place in front of the camera at my 'mark #1', where I'd pre-focused, triggered the shutter by remote, and began the making of the photo. During the 176 second exposure, I performed the making of the orb using LED's wrapped in orange gels, with small holes that allowed the LED's to peek through to capture their blue light from certain angles. When the orb was complete, I went to my pre-arranged 'mark #2' to pose with the imaginary orb, and remote triggered two speedlights - one between the two trees on the right side of the composition to serve as a main and to help with the illusion that I'm being lit by the orb, and the other to camera left to help fill the scene and light the bark.

When I'm planning an out of the ordinary shot like this, I dream about it - literally - positioning, lighting, timing, filters, ISO, aperture, lens size, props, apparatus - all of it - especially if I can't just make it happen easily with a bit of short prep work - it festers in me and the ideas associated with it grow and get more refined, waking me up in the middle of the night with revelations.

And then you have the nerve to call weeks of planning and preparation, then final execution "crap".

Seems to me that it's your opinion that's "crap". Try not to be such a tool.

How did you make the orb prefectly round?

I disagree. Just like any other genre of photography, some fire away without much thought, while others put a great deal of thought, planning and effort into their work. I'll give you just one example, since it's one of mine:Seems to me that it's your opinion that's "crap".

Try not to be such a tool.

Now being a TOOL that I am I will say I am impressed by your work. Had people posted more work like that instead of the CRAP that you see online and on message boards, I wouldn't have said that. But seems like people do so I said it. Don't take it personal buddy, it's too early in the morning to be huffing and puffing all day don't you think? :thumbdown: :mrgreen:

Again, being a cool tool that I am, I'll give you props for your work :thumbup:
Again, if any explanation is needed, please feel free to contact me. I however don't have a hotline but here or private message will do just fine.

OK, so to the OP, if you can create something like Buckster then yes, by all means, impressive. If you're going to post something where you just take a flash light, move it around a few time in a dark room, try again because it's been posted here many times, TOO many times.

How did you make the orb prefectly round?

I built an apparatus from old fishing poles, LEDs, a switch, tape, glue, solder, wires, batteries, a pulley with bearings, and a wooden pole with a handle to grasp it and with a point on the end to turn it in place on the ground.

The fishing poles are attached to the pulley and stick out 180 degrees from one another. The pulley's bearing is attached to the wooden pole, allowing it to be rotated. At the ends of the fishing poles are the LEDs hot glued in place, with flash gels taped onto them for coloring. The wires run through the fishing pole guides and have a bit of tape in between to hold them from flopping around, down to the batteries which are afixed to the pulley, including a switch to turn them on and off.

As I turn the fishing poles on the wooden pole, I slowly walk the wooden pole in a circle on the ground until I've made one complete revolution.

I disagree. Just like any other genre of photography, some fire away without much thought, while others put a great deal of thought, planning and effort into their work. I'll give you just one example, since it's one of mine:Seems to me that it's your opinion that's "crap".

Try not to be such a tool.

Now being a TOOL that I am I will say I am impressed by your work. Had people posted more work like that instead of the CRAP that you see online and on message boards, I wouldn't have said that. But seems like people do so I said it. Don't take it personal buddy, it's too early in the morning to be huffing and puffing all day don't you think? :thumbdown: :mrgreen:

Again, being a cool tool that I am, I'll give you props for your work :thumbup:
Again, if any explanation is needed, please feel free to contact me. I however don't have a hotline but here or private message will do just fine.

OK, so to the OP, if you can create something like Buckster then yes, by all means, impressive. If you're going to post something where you just take a flash light, move it around a few time in a dark room, try again because it's been posted here many times, TOO many times.
Thank you kindly.

But seriously, the same can be said for any genre at all, from portraits to sports photos to landscapes to still lifes to glamour. You name it, and some folks are doing it right, while plenty of others are making what many of us would term 'crap'.

Nonetheless, I think we should be careful not to be instantly dismissive with giant, ugly, insulting generalizations of any genre though just because some people don't do it well.

Sound fair?

Thank you kindly.

But seriously, the same can be said for any genre at all, from portraits to sports photos to landscapes to still lifes to glamour. You name it, and some folks are doing it right, while plenty of others are making what many of us would term 'crap'.

Nonetheless, I think we should be careful not to be instantly dismissive with giant, ugly, insulting generalizations of any genre though just because some people don't do it well.

Sound fair?

I will try, I promise! Its going to take some time because I'm very anal :grumpy:
But I will try :mrgreen:

Just wanna share. We were playing with the led light at the end of my pen. Should've been better, but my cousin moved. :meh: Anyway, I love light painting though I have never dreamt anything as amazing as Buckster's.

Most reactions

Back