Lightbox photo's

You don't see any ethical issues with laser-etching flames onto an instrument of death?

A gun is no more an instrument of death than a car is an instrument of death. It is a tool that has many uses, just like said car or a knife. BTW beautiful work and beautiful gun.

how'd you float it ? reverse the clip or something like that ?

I dont know too much about pistols..

Im just thinking its gotta be something sturdy under there

Actually it's not floating at all. In photoshop I boosted the color balance in the highlights, and shadows. Then used the cloaning tool to put the shadows where I wanted them. Also I focused on the front sight which made the front of the barrel seem a little out of focus.

A gun is no more an instrument of death than a car is an instrument of death. It is a tool that has many uses, just like said car or a knife. BTW beautiful work and beautiful gun.

Really? How many practical uses does a gun have besides killing people and animals?

you could throw a gun through your computer monitor rob.

it would be very practical for the rest of us.

Hey sorry for stirring up so much controversy about the gun. I just thought it was a cool picture. I didn't mean to get everyone up in arms. (no pun intended)

you shouldnt be sorry, theres nothing wrong with posting that picture. Its an interesting shot , I thought we were in a community about sharing pictures that we make, not breaking down others hobbies
or hijacking their threads just to put down their hobbies or pursuits.

Hes not saying he likes to shoot people, he likes guns. Guns are many things to many people, but they are also symbols of security and peace to many who understand how to operate them and have been
active in our millitary.
Theres a lot of things we agree on in this forum, and a lot of things we dont, but lets not start debates on gun control, or peta or things like that in someones post. its a total waste of everyone elses time who wants to get feedback on his photo.

Rob, if you are against guns, then speak out through your photos make something creative instead of wasting all of our time by debating the OP in his own post. So far from what Ive seen you seem to be a flame starter more then a contributor.

you shouldnt be sorry, theres nothing wrong with posting that picture. Its an interesting shot , I thought we were in a community about sharing pictures that we make, not breaking down others hobbies
or hijacking their threads just to put down their hobbies or pursuits.

Hes not saying he likes to shoot people, he likes guns. Guns are many things to many people, but they are also symbols of security and peace to many who understand how to operate them and have been
active in our millitary.
Theres a lot of things we agree on in this forum, and a lot of things we dont, but lets not start debates on gun control, or peta or things like that in someones post. its a total waste of everyone elses time who wants to get feedback on his photo.

Rob, if you are against guns, then speak out through your photos make something creative instead of wasting all of our time by debating the OP in his own post. So far from what Ive seen you seem to be a flame starter more then a contributor.

Have you even read my posts?

Now that I've had time to think about it the pic doesn't bother me anymore, I just find it slightly humorous. Sorry for ranting about it.

I was reading them, and when I read this one :

"Really? How many practical uses does a gun have besides killing people and animals?" I thought I should say something cause its a flame war leading question.

just think twice, "will this comment start a flame war" its a good question
to ask ourselves.

finally yes republicans are better ..... :lol: Just messsin..

I was referring to this quote: "I have no problem with guns. I would even consider owning one myself someday"

Also, I'm actually curious as to what that poster meant when he said guns have many other purposes. From my point of view, I see them as a tool designed to end lives and nothing more, although I bet they would be a wicked beer opener ala Homer Simpsons style..

Oh, and I was once a republican myself until I saw the light and realized it was better to believe in nothing :)

lol,

he prob meant like target practice and all that goes along with being a shooter.

In the matrix I wonder if the agents must color code their guns,
I mean theres tons of them and the guns all look the same, how can you tell them apart.... ?

Let's see, we are to restrict ourselves to photography related responses unless in the off topic or chat forums. But, I gotta stick my .02 in here. Yes, I know better.

1) self protection, stopping someone who is intent on ending your life.
2) Sport target shooting. I have fired several million rounds in these past decades and never harmed the first person.
3) Hunting for food on the table. I used to do this often, now I hunt mostly with a camera and lens. (good white-tail deer meat in a good stew is something to wonderful to behold)
4) Collecting. I own dozens of firearms that have never been fired and I have no intention of ever firing. As a retired engineer and tool and die maker, the craftsmanship that goes into a fine firearm is something to marvel at. To take raw steel and cut it to fit together with other parts and make a working machine that can be held in the hands is amazing. Mush of this design work was done over one hundred years ago and it is as timeless now as it was then.

So just because we have our own preconceived biases, does not mean we need to interject them into the forum. This is how un-biased reporting in photo journalism has vanished. Every photog and reporter today has an agenda, and it is blatant the was it shows in our daily reporting. A recent poll (this week) claimed over 85% of the American public say they believe the media is biased and reports with an agenda. Only 3% think NPR isunbiased. So much for objective journalism.

Most reactions

Back