Lighthouse and 30 minutes

Didereaux

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Bolivar Lighthouse on the upper Texas coast. Taken about 30 minutes apart this evening.
1 f/22 1/20 100ISO
270A5138web.jpg

2 f/16 30sec 100ISO
270A5200-Editweb.jpg

Last edited:
As a silhouette these are pretty nice.

I am one that would like to see some more detail in the foreground, but that very well may be just a personal preference.

As a silhouette these are pretty nice.

I am one that would like to see some more detail in the foreground, but that very well may be just a personal preference.

the later one, the blue one is a 30 sec exposure @f22 the earlier is also a fairly long exposure. These kinds of shots where you shoot into the sun are not conducive to detail in foregrounds unless you use a fill light...which is an absurd proposition when you consider the size of the structures etc.

In these photos it is the relationship of the lighthouse to the sky that is the subject, not simply some buildings s and grass with a blown-out background.

The colors and exp are as nearly what my eyes saw as I was able to get with this camera and lens's

Last edited:
I prefer the second (not a big fan of red skies). No detail needed in the foreground - silhouettes should be just that.

Like the 2nd one more. Quite interested as to why you chose to shoot at F22. I can understand if it was windy and you wanted to smooth cloud movement or something like that, but would it not have made more send shooting at F11 and using a faster shutter speed to get the same effect?

Guess I'm odd man out, because I like the first one. To me it's more "interesting".

Like the 2nd one more. Quite interested as to why you chose to shoot at F22. I can understand if it was windy and you wanted to smooth cloud movement or something like that, but would it not have made more send shooting at F11 and using a faster shutter speed to get the same effect?

longer exp, seems to me anyway, to give a bit more saturation.

Also I took 104 shots in that hour or so using a wide range of exposure combinations, and these are the two I liked best. Also changed lens, The first one was with the 70/200mm and the blue was with the 23-105mm. Oddly enough the two best to me were both taken at 70mm(~110mm) Again using all sorts of settings.

Last edited:
longer exp, seems to me anyway, to give a bit more saturation.

I can't get away from that same feeling, though I've read that it isn't true with a digital sensor.

Both are nice but I might crop out the lower dark part.

Both are nice but I might crop out the lower dark part.

I kinda agree. But I wanted to print a 16x20 so the aspect ratio dictated where and how much. Pretty much balanced though , so I am okay with it. Predicted clouds didn;t materialize so am going with what I got. Seems Ma Nature has no regard at all as to my wishes! ;)

Did a last pass through before archiving and stumbled on this one. Had forgotten about the flock of pelicans, and in library mode they were to small to really see...but they kind of help an otherwise mundane shot I think. This was done zoomed in a little tighter (100mm equiv 160mm) f/22 1/40 100ISO as an aside I thought it interesting what the sharp edges of the buildings did to the rays...will have to experiment ssome more with that.
270A5131-Editweb.jpg

Like I said I'm odd man out. The second one is nice, but nothing that makes me want to stay and view. In the first one the sun kind of grabs your attention hard, then the eye drifts over the detail. The birds in the remake are another detail to observe, like the sprinkles on a cupcake.

Awesome. I need some palm trees and pelicans right about now.

I really like them all. Good stuff.

The wildlife really makes it outstanding. Architecture with no life ( people or animal) is rather dead. The palm tree could be the live point, but the bird formation is just great.

Awesome. I need some palm trees and pelicans right about now.

I really like them all. Good stuff.

The wildlife really makes it outstanding. Architecture with no life ( people or animal) is rather dead. The palm tree could be the live point, but the bird formation is just great.

thank you

Most reactions

Back