Lighting Equipment

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been looking into lighting equipment like a stand, umbrella, and another flash to start me out. I will probably get a SB-900 to go with my SB-600.

I was looking at this light stand:
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 367B Basic Light Stand - 9' | 367B

Does anyone have some recommendations on which umbrella to get? I want reflective, unless there is a reason why shoot-through is better. How big should I be looking at?

How do the umbrella's attach to the flash/light stand? Do I need to buy another mount?

It's been said a million times around here... Visit the Strobist site and look for lighting 101 and 102. It has answers to questions you don't even know you have! ;)

Be careful though, that place is addictive. So far I am up to 8 lightstands, 6 speedlights, 3 studio heads, 6 umbrellas, 2 softboxes and on and on and on... !

at Alienbees.com they have a 10'+ lightstand for $30, take a look at it. I have one and the quality is pretty good. As far as attaching the umbrella to the light stand, you will need a swivel umbrella bracket

60 second strobist to the rescue... lol

Keep in mind, its a little "tongue in cheek" but it does give the 60-second run down.

As far as umbrellas are concerned, reflective wastes a little less power and lights a larger area, but is a little harsher. White (not silver), shoot through umbrellas give softer, better quality of light but eat a touch more power. Each has it's place.

I use a shoot through for when doing smaller areas or 1-2 people. When doing group shots, multiple silver/bounce umbrellas are the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the start-up equipment I purchased to get me going. (The rocket blower obviously isn't lighting equip, so ignore that. :lol:)

Picture2-1.png

...and another strobist is born!

Last edited:

Jerry, My e-mail shows this message:

"ok right off the bat, I can tell that someone did not go to read the strobist site. ;)

With that choice of umbrella, you have effectively cut your usage methods in 1/2.

There are 2 kinds of umbrellas, shoot through and bounce. *Most* can do both... but the one that you bought is a silver reflective... meaning you can do shoot through, but results won't be half as nice as if you had gotten a white shoot through instead of that silver one. I used to bounce a lot... then tested shoot through and 90% of the time that is what I do becuase it gives me better results.

This is clearly exaplained on the strobist site too. :)"

Did you not see the shoot through until after, then edited your post? I got both. The white one is the first item on the list :)

That is because you are subscribed to this thread and I changed it right after posting it becuase I *did* see it. My post also shows it as being edited before you posted this last one of yours.

It is best to read what is here, not in the subbed emails as it is not very useful to comment on changed non-existant posts. ;)

That is because you are subscribed to this thread and I changed it right after posting it becuase I *did* see it. My post also shows it as being edited before you posted this last one of yours.

It is best to read what is here, not in the subbed emails as it is not very useful to comment on changed non-existant posts. ;)

Yeah, I know. I was just curious if it was because you did not see it, which seems to be the case.

Most reactions

Back