What's new

Lighting glass is freakin hard

I think it looks pretty damned good.

Thank you sir. However, there is always room for improvement.

Indeed, always.

I also like that you post the set up as well, a very cool site/tool to have when explaining things.

Thanks for that extra step. it helps "n00bs' like me learn, and think about more intricate things when setting a shot up.
 
I just recently found that site. It is really nice because a picture is so much easier to grasp than a description in this case.
 
Really I'm trying to take ques from Lew and be much more detailed and in depth in describing my photographs and in critiquing others photographs.
 
That's the best looking pitcher I've ever seen!
 
Yes, glass can be very hard/finicky to light well.

It looks like maybe you already have, but if you haven't, I'd suggest picking up the book "Light: Science & Magic".
 
Yes, glass can be very hard/finicky to light well.

It looks like maybe you already have, but if you haven't, I'd suggest picking up the book "Light: Science & Magic".

Yeah that book gave me the idea in the first place.
 
A few more from my war with the pitcher:


untitled-8531 by JChick526, on Flickr


untitled-8537 by JChick526, on Flickr

I left some light on the table in this one....I kind of like it.


untitled-8545 by JChick526, on Flickr

I think after this when I try my hand at glass its going to be a bottle of liquor that I just got done drinking.
 
Remember you only have 2 things to work with here ... Highlights and shadows. Now to get the glass to show up against black you need a highlight. If your pitcher is on a table make sure that the pitcher is close to the back edge.... if not it sees the black behind it and you can not put a highlight there. Lowering your POV will help also. Remember the pitcher sees what is in back of it as well as the sides. Look at your background as your pitcher sees it.
 
Remember you only have 2 things to work with here ... Highlights and shadows. Now to get the glass to show up against black you need a highlight. If your pitcher is on a table make sure that the pitcher is close to the back edge.... if not it sees the black behind it and you can not put a highlight there. Lowering your POV will help also. Remember the pitcher sees what is in back of it as well as the sides. Look at your background as your pitcher sees it.

Man why you gotta say stuff like that....it means I got to try this again.

Damn you...j/k.
 
Look at your background as your pitcher sees it.

Great quote...

I'd like to change it up a bit to read "Look at your surroundings as your product would see it". Not all products see everything the same way so you have to pay attention to what "it's seeing"
 
Last edited:
You might want to also change the size of the black card you have as well. Different sizes means the glass sees less or more
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom