Lighting Question HELP!!!

pokernod

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, nice to meet you.... (insert long boring intro/bio here),
Im shooting in a very small studio and Im in need of some lighting, Im a starving (poor) artist so Im hurting for funds for this.
My question is simple: Continuous or Strobe?
I mainly shoot with a true white background for easy deletion of the background (most pics are for posters or CD covers, etc.)
I know strobes are better for this (brighter, more live) but Im shooting models and they move around, I dont want to miss too much waiting on the flash. Im pretty sure I cant afford the strobes that it would take to do this kind of shooting. Can I get away with continuous or do I need to just invest in strobes and start making the models pose more and move less?

Thanks in advance.
pokernod

Strobes. Chck eBay for used Speedotron stuff. You should be able to get a complete set of strobes for $600, maybe less if you hit a good buy.

Considering what you're shooting, you might do better if you consider yourself a starving business man, instead of a starving artist. :thumbup:

well I was going to refer you to strobist.com, but that deals with mainly hotshoe strobes and you said you didn't want to be waiting on them to recycle which is about 4seconds.

I'd suggest you go with some monolights, alienbees if you can afford them

if you're shooting nikon, look into sb600, maybe even used ones. with small studio, 2 sb600 on lightstands w/ two umbrellas, should do the trick. Otherwise, look on ebay for receiver/transmitter hot shoe radio system thingy, body of mine for 3 receiver +1 transmitter payed $60. for 2 lightstands with umbrellas another 50, then he got canon 430 flash, and 2 vivitars (70each)
now he has a diy studio :)

If you are shooting people, strobes/flash is the way to go.

Yes, you have to wait for them to recycle, but the flash burst also freezes their movement, which means you don't have to worry about blurry shots from slow shutter speeds...which is a distinct possibility with continuous lighting.

MPEX Strobist Kits

Most reactions

Back