Lighting Question

UncleRico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright. I need some help. I have an Alienbees b800. I have gotten pretty good results shooting portraits with even light. I have a shoot through umbrella, which I use all the time.

I want to move on to some different types of shots. The result I would most like to acheive is what appears to have a single light source on the subject. The light is weak, but illuminates a specific part of the subject.

How can I create a shot like this? I feel that even on the lowest setting, my flash is too bright. Is this where continous lighting comes in. If I disconnect my sync cord, can I acheive this with my modeling light, or do I need another light source.

I hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but I've read a lot of lighting articles, and in most of what I've read, the author mentions the different types of light sources, but not when one should be used over the other. I guess the secondary question would be, when should I not use my strobe?

Thanks,

Ryan

i think i know what ur talking about but can you post an example?

Last edited:
flash is controlled by aperture, ambiant is controlled by shutter speed. that said, higher aperture, lower power and lower iso. Also the highest flash sync speed availible. This will make the background black like in the image shown. The use of a grid and no umbrella, or a gobo/flag will produce the specific light placement.

Also getting the light closer to the subject, and dialing it back a bit to compensate for the closeness. The closer the light to the subject, the more abrupt light fall off becomes, easier to isolate a subject (even easier if subject is far from the background).

The example pic, with the baby in the man's arms, I'll echo the snoot and/or a gobo (go between. Something that is blocking the light)

Also getting the light closer to the subject, and dialing it back a bit to compensate for the closeness. The closer the light to the subject, the more abrupt light fall off becomes, easier to isolate a subject (even easier if subject is far from the background).

The example pic, with the baby in the man's arms, I'll echo the snoot and/or a gobo (go between. Something that is blocking the light)

Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll try the suggestions.

Ryan

Most reactions

New Topics

Back