Lighting questions

That site says $389.99 for two of the umbrellas. I think it would be cheaper if I got two of the soft boxes I posted above which would be about $100..I don't know if I can even trigger the umbrellas with my Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H10.

Can one just leave the soft boxes on for light? Does it have to flash?

I plan on buying a dslr camera eventually but right now I can't afford it. I am going to school for graphic design and currently intern at The Oprah Magazine. I won't be shooting pictures for my future job, just editing them and layouts. But for my senior project I want to have some of my own photography to put in with my portfolio.

The softbox link you had up there is just the softbox. The black thing with the white front. Nothing else. You do need a light with it. As other point out as well, it is cheaper to go with a flash with umbrella or softbox.

Sorry I am such a newbie to photography.

How about two of these?

Impact | One Light Umbrella Kit (120VAC) | FL-500-KII | B&H

or

Smith-Victor | KT-400 Single Light Umbrella Tungsten | 401439

I don't think I would be able to trigger them so they will be turned on while I shoot. When I photographed one of my art projects in my design class, the professor kept the lights on while setting up the still life and shooting. Nothing was triggered. I don't know if that was the correct way to do it or not..I just want to get some extra light besides the light that will come through the windows.

You do not need any trigger with them since they are just a tungsten light, once you plug them to the electrical outlet and turn them on, it will stay on.

One side note, it may not be a good idea to mix the sun light with the tungsten light. (white balance issue)

I could then potentially use the regular flash on my camera and bounce it off two umbrellas without extra light bulbs attached to them?

I could then potentially use the regular flash on my camera and bounce it off two umbrellas without extra light bulbs attached to them?

nope. But you can use a reflector to bounce ambient light back to the object.

Ok thank you, I see what you mean. I will look into the umbrellas and a reflector is a must. I can't wait to start shooting this. :)

I'd say with your P&S camera, make things simple on yourself. Start with some inexpensive reflectors and available lights. IE, table lamps, you can get small quartz lamps for under $20.

Use some white board as reflectors. Take some heavy duty aluminum foil, extra wide and cover the white board. Try both sides, shiny and dull.

Different things like that you might have around the house.

I'd say with your P&S camera, make things simple on yourself. Start with some inexpensive reflectors and available lights. IE, table lamps, you can get small quartz lamps for under $20.

Use some white board as reflectors. Take some heavy duty aluminum foil, extra wide and cover the white board. Try both sides, shiny and dull.

Different things like that you might have around the house.

Thank you, that is a great idea. The majority of the project will focus on my design skills, the photos are just the icing on the cake.

I have a bunch of these:

504693.jpg

That I can probably just put a white light bulb in and then use the reflectors.

stop in at a construction place Lowe's, Menards, Home Depot. Go through the light sections. You can get a LOT of different temperature of lights. From sun bulbs to white to whatever you want almost.

Add those to your reflectors (which some photoshops sell also).

Take some and paint the inside white, gloss white, flat white, Grey.

If you are at walmart or anyplace for that matter. Keep an eye out for a white umbrella.

Yeah, just some rambling thoughts here too.

Great suggestions! I will go shopping Saturday for stuff. :)

A friend of mine is going to let me use his d40 dslr and I just ordered two umbrellas, stands, and light bulbs. Looks like this might turn out pretty nice. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back