Lighting questions

Lsatblu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Next week I am going to be taking some pictures of friends in my friend's house for my senior project. I don't start my senior project till next semester but I want as much practice this summer as I can get. One of my friends who is a photography major shoots with just her camera, an extra flash and a reflector.

I plan on taking the shots around 5:30pm on when the sun is going down. My friend has nice large windows in his house so there will be a ton of sun light but I would like some extra light in case. Would purchasing two umbrella soft boxes be worth it? I plan on also buying a reflector.

I might also take some pictures out on his deck so I would be able to place them outside as well.

Thanks.

Depending on the strength of the light, the reflector might be enough. Of course two soft boxes would make a bad lighting situation much, much better, but people have and often do work with a lot less, (including no flash). If you got the cash, go for it though, it's definitely a worthwhile investment.

It's not a bad price and I would say that's something to start out with. You can experiment and along the way, get experience. You pay for what you get but for a little project such as what you say, I say the choice isn't a bad one.

An umbrella is not a softbox. An umbrella is an umbrella and a softbox is a softbox. They both achieve different effects that might not be so evident in a closed space like you're going after. As such, you might actually be better served just getting a couple of cheap umbrellas (for the cost of one of those softboxes).

Oh I see. I will look for an umbrella with a light attached to it then. :)

Oh I see. I will look for an umbrella with a light attached to it then. :)

Erm. Do you not have a monolight or an off camera flash already?

No I don't, I am still shooting with a point and shoot. I will just borrow a fancy camera next semester from my college, but for now when I practice I think it works just fine. I can't afford to buy a dslr camera but I can make a reflector and purchase and umbrella or two..

Here is a picture I took with it:

04-lg.jpg

The thing about photography is its not cheap to buy equipment for it. However if you really plan to get into it and eventually do it as a profession, to have to invest in light modifiers, lenses and camera. I would recommend you start with a canon rebel series or equivalent if the money is tight.

No I don't, I am still shooting with a point and shoot. I will just borrow a fancy camera next semester from my college, but for now when I practice I think it works just fine. I can't afford to buy a dslr camera but I can make a reflector and purchase and umbrella or two..

For the umbrella, you need to have a light with it. The cheaper way is mount a flash with the umbrella. But you need to find a way to trigger it. Not sure about your camera whether it can trigger a flash or not. If you camera has a hotshoe, you can get a radio trigger. If you camera has a build-in flash, then a optical trigger may work.

That site says $389.99 for two of the umbrellas. I think it would be cheaper if I got two of the soft boxes I posted above which would be about $100..I don't know if I can even trigger the umbrellas with my Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H10.

Can one just leave the soft boxes on for light? Does it have to flash?

I plan on buying a dslr camera eventually but right now I can't afford it. I am going to school for graphic design and currently intern at The Oprah Magazine. I won't be shooting pictures for my future job, just editing them and layouts. But for my senior project I want to have some of my own photography to put in with my portfolio.

that $389 includes everything you need for off camera lighting with speedlights. Gels, stands, heads, etc.

If you take their list, you can possibly piece things together for stuff.

IE, Stands, umbrella's, strobes.

That Softbox you link above is nothing BUT the softbox. You still need to buy the light it attaches to.

Sorry I am such a newbie to photography.

How about two of these?

Impact | One Light Umbrella Kit (120VAC) | FL-500-KII | B&H

or

Smith-Victor | KT-400 Single Light Umbrella Tungsten | 401439

I don't think I would be able to trigger them so they will be turned on while I shoot. When I photographed one of my art projects in my design class, the professor kept the lights on while setting up the still life and shooting. Nothing was triggered. I don't know if that was the correct way to do it or not..I just want to get some extra light besides the light that will come through the windows.

Most reactions

Back