Lighting set up

Londontog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Looks to me like she's probably using a speedlight on the camera hotshoe. Being that the pictures appear to be taken in portrait the light would naturally be offset just barely to the left or right.

The remote in her hand is probably a standard wired camera trigger. Something like this:
2476A001 Canon RS-80N3 Remote Switch for many EOS Cameras

Yep, I have to agree with bpetruzzo, camera in portait orientation and speedlight on camera right and that's why the shadows are on the wall camera left and the catchlights are center right. No modifier for the light.

#2 & #3 the speedlight is on the left of the camera. Figure the camera is in AUTO.

It's pretty much a very basic setup, nothing special at all. The model is too close to the backdrop and the lighting is too much to the front and there is nothing diffusing the light, it is as harsh as it comes.

That wire is also VERY intrusive. Two steps forward, an umbrella and a simple timer where she uses the wired remote then drops it would give her much nicer results.

thansk guys!!!!

do you think its a flash thats mounted on the cameras hot shoe?

thansk guys!!!!

do you think its a flash thats mounted on the cameras hot shoe?

Well, the highlights in the eyes are the tiniest bit off centre to our right but dead centred vertically and there are very slight shadows to our left so it's a fair bet that it was - given that the camera would have been rotated ninety degrees for the portrait shot.

here was my attempt at that type of shot

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tell me if you can see the photos

Last edited:
here was my attempt at that type of shot

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tell me if you can see the photos

"You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

Again... model too close to the backdrop, lighting too harsh.

If you were trying to replicate their mistakes... you succeeded. :lmao:

Compositionally... elbows cut off on both sides and I feel the lights were a little too hot as I don't see a lot of clarity/contrast in the shot. The focus is also not tack sharp.

Pardon my bluntness, but if a woman is going to raise her arms over her head for portraits... she needs to make sure she has shaved. ;)

It's definitely not bad, but I feel you will do a lot better with some practice and time spent reading the www.strobist.com site.

Last edited:
I think I'm going mad! I could swear I saw a photo first thing this morning (7:00 GMT) when I looked at this page (without clicking a link) but there's nothing now! It certainly matched the description Jerry gives above.

Sticking to lighting: I remember thinking that you'd obviously go the basics and now just need to spend as much time as you can afford (and your model will put up with) just experimenting.

Make a series of shots with one light in various positions.

Then try adding another, again in a variety of positions and relative strengths.

Examine the effects of some backlighting on the hair.

Try softening the light in various ways.

Notice how you can control modeling, texture, contrast and other aspects of the result.

Make sure you keep notes of the setup used for each shot. With the benefit of the near instant results with digital it's amazing how quickly, given any natural aptitude, you can gain experience that it would have taken weeks or months with of film.

Most reactions

Back