What's new

Lighting Set-up!

nathanlegiehn

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 24, 2009
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, ON
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Flashes, Soft Boxes, Umbrellas, etc....

Hello,

My name is Nathan and I shoot (and LOVE) my Canon 5D mark 2

Im looking for a recommendation for a lighting set up. Although this would be my first lighting set-up, I don't necessarily need a "beginner" set-up (I would imagine that to be somewhat cheap). This is a very broad question but im sorta shooting for whatever I can get. I would do mostly shooting of:
-lifestyle
-event photography
-weddings
-commercial
-portrait
-ect.

I really don't know what angle to approach this at so any help would be appreciated.

THANKS!!!!!

(if there is anything that youre unsure of ask and ill respond)
 
What's your budget?
 
If you *really* want to be able to light all the types of things you describe, you will want a true, fully professional lighting system that offers power,control, and accessories of good quality. For lighting gear, my suggestion is virtually always to purchase used lighting gear--it is plentiful, and often sells for 1/3 to 1/2 of new price. Often, the equipment was been purchased by a person who tired to break into photography but went broke...

Speedotron, used, from Craigslist or eBay is my suggestion. You need a number of pieces. 4 to 6 light heads, umbrellas, softboxes, reflectors and grids, foam core, scrims, light stands, a boom stand or two, seamless rolls, Plexiglas, modeling clay, gaffer's tape, and five years of practice and learning.;)
 
If you *really* want to be able to light all the types of things you describe, you will want a true, fully professional lighting system that offers power,control, and accessories of good quality. For lighting gear, my suggestion is virtually always to purchase used lighting gear--it is plentiful, and often sells for 1/3 to 1/2 of new price. Often, the equipment was been purchased by a person who tired to break into photography but went broke...

Speedotron, used, from Craigslist or eBay is my suggestion. You need a number of pieces. 4 to 6 light heads, umbrellas, softboxes, reflectors and grids, foam core, scrims, light stands, a boom stand or two, seamless rolls, Plexiglas, modeling clay, gaffer's tape, and five years of practice and learning.;)

plexiglass is expensive :(
 
What's your budget?

as far as budget goes, I dont have TOOOOO much of one. Obviously anything crazy priced is out of the question but that depends on each persons view of 'crazy priced' ha. Not too sure, does anyone have any prices approximately?

As far as used, I usually avoid used equipment but if you suggest it would be my best option then I could definitely look into it.

Thanks for the help so far! keep er coming :)
 
Ok, so I'll get back to you with a list of equipment, now that you have narrowed your budget to "I don't have TOOOOO much of one."

Derrel wrote everything you need for studio set up. Do your research on each item and find the one that works for you.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom