Lighting setup opinions

651stp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey TPF! TGIF! :)

I have been using my 430 EX II for about 2-3 months now and have been practicing with a one light setup w/ a reflector. As everyone else is, im looking to getting into multiple light setups. Im torn between speedlights and monolights. With speedlights they are very portable but dont have modeling lights which i think would be usefeull for indoor shooting. The monolights seem like they are semi portable if working with an assistant(for 2-4 monolights) but just using one should be portable enough. I plan on shooting indoors as much as outdoors. If i were to go with a setup right now in either category heres what im looking at so far.

x3 Yongnuo YN-560 speedlights w/ various Sofboxes or Umbrellas

OR

2-3 Falshpoint 620M's with bat pack.

I would love the cheaper route if it can produce the same quality.

I LOVE speedlites, however the number 1 drawback is the amount of power output. For you to use a huge softbox portrait setup you'll need 4 speedlite heads as opposed to 1 monolight.
I have used both on location. I LOVE speedlites because I am a woman and they're cheap and easy for me to cart around. I can stick a speedlite just about anywhere easily and create different lighting than I could if I were stuck with a monolight on a stand.

It's about you and what you need. I have bought enough old flash heads that i can't even put on my camera for so cheap it's not funny. I can create a lot of power with them. If it weren't for that I'd choose the monolights because of the light power.

what about if you have 2 softboxes to equal one big softbox and put one speedlight in each and line em up? will that work the same way? :)

what about if you have 2 softboxes to equal one big softbox and put one speedlight in each and line em up? will that work the same way? :)

It depends on the output of the speedlight, but no. You can't make the output of 2 equal the output of 4 even if you have them in two smaller softboxes.

I would buy the Flashpoint 320M models + their cool, little battery packs. Not the 620's, but the 320M models.

Speedlights win on portability: SMALL size, LIGHT weight. But they lose on other aspects. Price-wise, the Flashpoints WITH battery packs are less than half of the cost of higher-end Nikon or Canon dedicated flash units...

I would buy the Flashpoint 320M models + their cool, little battery packs. Not the 620's, but the 320M models.

Speedlights win on portability: SMALL size, LIGHT weight. But they lose on other aspects. Price-wise, the Flashpoints WITH battery packs are less than half of the cost of higher-end Nikon or Canon dedicated flash units...

And 10 times as useful
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back