Lighting suggestions

Daveleau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everybody!

I need some pointers in lighting purchases. I recently sold some old gear on eBay and want to invest it in lighting supplies. Here's my current gear:

Canon T3i and T1i
Canon 24-105 f4L IS USM
Canon 70-200 f4L IS USM
Canon 50 1.8
Canon 18-55 IS kit lens
I own no real flash or lighting equipment

I shoot primarily landscape and travel photography. Basically, I stop and shoot things as I find them when driving around. I am very interested in wireless lighting options.

Questions-
1- I have been looking at lighting setups from AlienBees to simply buying Canon 580 EXII Speedlites. What is the best setup for wireless lighting? Should I just invest in Speedlites and stands/accessories for them?

2- If I buy speedlites or other suggested setups, do I have to buy wireless (radio) equipment to drive the lights when there is no line-of-sight? (I am more concerned about/interested in shooting without line-of-sight being required.)

3- Will wireless work easily with either the T3i or T1i? (Upgrading bodies is not an option currently, considering I just received the T3i.)

Thanks for any help!

Here's my Flickr page so you can get an idea of what I currently shoot. I am a hobbyist and I shoot what I find interesting, currently. I would like the flexibility to shoot friends' weddings, but not turning to that for a career.
Flickr: daveleau's Photostream

Dave

Questions-
1- I have been looking at lighting setups from AlienBees to simply buying Canon 580 EXII Speedlites. What is the best setup for wireless lighting? Should I just invest in Speedlites and stands/accessories for them?

Well it depends if you will always have access to Power. Alien bees will work but you will need battery packs or access to AC Current, but they are more powerful. Speed-lights are less powerful, but can operate on batteries.

2- If I buy speedlites or other suggested setups, do I have to buy wireless (radio) equipment to drive the lights when there is no line-of-sight? (I am more concerned about/interested in shooting without line-of-sight being required.)

Yes, you will need wireless triggers for them, there are many brands out there that range in price from several hundred dollars each to less expensive Chinese triggers you can buy off ebay for a few bucks each.

3- Will wireless work easily with either the T3i or T1i? (Upgrading bodies is not an option currently, considering I just received the T3i.)

Yes, as ling as the cammera has a hot show you can put the trigger on there, but unless you get the higher end triggers like Pocket wizards you will not get TTL functionality and will have to adjust your speed-light manual (You should anyway)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back