Lightning C&C

JAFO28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went out the other night with storms approaching, hoping to get some lightning. This was about the best I could get before the downpours arrived. Any thoughts?

4654482578_f02574d2f8_b.jpg

I like it...I can't give any technical critiques though...I'd love to know what you did to capture...like settings and equipment?

that's really cool. what was your strategy? settings? i know you were mostly focused on getting a shot, but if you go again, maybe work on the composition, because the ground isn't very interesting in this shot. i think a vertical crop might work, but you would lose the interesting part of the sky on the right. nonetheless, great shot.

Jafo
That is a cool shot, what is creating the light on the right side of the photo?

You may want to try and crop the shot... remove some from the bottom of the photo and keep just the clouds.

Awesome! I need to go try that stuff out one of these days. Right about the comp etc but heck, first thing is how did you capture the shot? settings et al.

Thanks guys, basically I put my 50mm on set on manual focus and manual mode. Set the shutter to 1/30th, and aperture to f/5. I used manual focus set to infinity, figuring that would be best considering the distance. The rest is a little bit of luck. In the past I did this with film set to bulb, wait for a flash of lightning and close the shutter. Think that method works better. I agree the comp isn't the best and will probably crop it a bit more. pbelarge I think there was another flash just prior to or off to the right creating that glow. I actually like the look of the clouds on that side the best, almost looks like waves.

Heres a quick crop, better?

4657814457_13eae5b727_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back